Program Associate, US Jewish Grantmkaing
- Experience Level
WHO WE ARE
Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Philanthropies (Schusterman) is a global organization that seeks to improve lives, strengthen communities and advance equity. Our philanthropic vision is grounded in a commitment to pursue justice, repair the world and treat all people with dignity and civility. We invest in efforts to improve public education in the United States, strengthen the Jewish people and Israel, and address the needs of marginalized individuals and communities.
The Program Associate (PA) is a member of the US Jewish Grantmaking team, which is based in Schusterman’s Washington DC office. The PA will serve as an analyst and will support the team to build, manage and monitor a portfolio of grants and contribute to the development and implementation of the DC-based Jewish Grantmaking team’s overall strategy and planning. The PA will be a part of a broader team of professionals, working specifically with the Jewish grantmaking team to ensure vibrant Jewish life around the world by empowering young Jews to embrace the joy of Judaism, build inclusive Jewish communities, support the State of Israel and repair the world.
- Reviewing grant proposals; providing clear, concise and insightful written analyses (financial and narrative) and recommendations for funding, including drafting and editing investment memos and progress reports for review by Schusterman leadership;
- Conducting site visits, engaging with grantees, supporting convenings and conducting organizational assessments;
- Identifying possible partners, projects and opportunities, and building collaborative relationships within and outside Schusterman (e.g. with existing grantees, prospective grantees, experts in the community and other stakeholders);
- Staying well-informed of developments in the field through research, networking and representing the Schusterman at conferences and meetings;
- Working with the Evaluation and Learning team to collect, evaluate and track grantee data and metrics;
- Assisting senior staff on advanced due diligence and research.
The following qualifications are representative of the high level of demonstrated skills, maturity, judgment and ability to work with a wide range of constituencies required of Schusterman employees:
- A Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience is required.
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience, ideally gained in a foundation, Jewish community organization, academic institution or relevant non-profit or for-profit organization required.
- A commitment to the mission and values of the Schusterman required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Understanding of philanthropy and community dynamics, familiarity with local, national and international Jewish organizations required.
- Analytical and research abilities necessary to evaluate grants and to collect and evaluate data required.
- Proven skill and comfort in prioritizing, multi-tasking and efficiently delivering high-quality work product in a fast-paced environment required.
- High attention to detail and willingness to be hands-on as necessary required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively and constructively across departments and with national and international partners required.
- An ability to work independently and to handle a high workload with resiliency and a sense of humor required.
- PC skills (with proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), as well as a thorough knowledge and comfort of basic web skills required. Experience with Salesforce and Fluxx preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 25% domestically and internationally upon occasion, required.
Competitive salary band of $70,000-90,000 based on experience and on Schusterman’s commitment to internal equity. A strong benefits package is also included. Schusterman encourages ongoing professional development and supports activities aligned with one’s individual career growth plan. Schusterman does not cover relocation expenses for this position.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should visit https://grnh.se/a0198db42us to submit an Application.
Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Philanthropies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Schusterman promotes diversity and provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identify, gender expression, religious creed, disability, genetic information, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or military and veteran status. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.