- Experience Level
Deputy Director - The Hambidge Center for Creative Arts & Sciences
(Full-time position living on the campus in Rabun Gap, GA)
Hire Date: March 2021
This new position will take a leading role while living on Hambidge’s historic campus in Rabun Gap, Georgia. The position reports to the Executive Director in Atlanta and will manage the campus staff, oversee the residency program, and launch new thematic residencies, public workshops and community outreach. The ideal candidate will help guide Hambidge through a period of transformational growth as an energetic and nurturing leader with strong communication and management skills.
Interested individuals should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Full Job description can be viewed at the Hambidge website. https://www.hambidge.org/employment
The Deputy Director job description outlines responsibilities in the following areas that demonstrates strategic and collaborative leadership across all areas of our historic creative sanctuary. Direct reports include: Operations Manager, Building and Grounds Manager, Housekeeping, and Chef.
- Creates a nurturing, equitable and inclusive environment
- Responsible for the management of the operations, assessment, and growth of the residency program
- Acts as a primary contact and resource for the artists-in-residence, guiding and refining the artist experience with a commitment to the creative process
- Develops related public programs and special projects to connect artists and communities
Management and Leadership
- Creates an inspired, respectful and engaged work environment
- Implements and develops systems and processes that bring structure and efficiency to daily operations and activities (e.g. Meals, Housekeeping, Building and Grounds, Land preservation)
- Cultivates professional alliances and develop new collaborations with relevant partners who further our mission
- Oversees the volunteer and intern coordination
- Works across all board committees to deepen impact and develop operational efficiencies and growth
- Develops dynamic reports creatively demonstrating growth and impact
- Manages all campus Human Resource responsibilities and ensure appropriate emergency procedures are in place
- Works with the Director of Programs to implement and coordinate public programming, including: Artist talks and performances, Nature Hikes, Gristmill visits & Gallery events, workshops, thematic and curated residencies
- Oversees the launch of an extensive new series of diverse workshops at the new Antinori Village set to break ground late summer 2021
- Oversees gallery shows and coordination
- Serves as contact for public and community inquiries
- Works with the Development Director to support fundraising activities and grant writin
- Oversees office bookkeeping
- Participates in budgeting and grant compliance
First and foremost, the Deputy Director must embrace the Hambidge mission to nurture the creative spirit and respect individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, candidates must possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum 4-year college degree
- Minimum five years’ arts administration experience with knowledge of contemporary practices
- Strong, clear writing and verbal communication
- Demonstrates proactive leadership and resourcefulness; takes initiative and delivers on outcomes despite obstacles
- Highly organized, reliable and efficient
- Skilled at managing multiple projects simultaneously; demonstrated abilities in prioritizing, delegating and problem solving.
- Unflappable self-starter who has ability to effectively manage a wide range of responsibilities and shifting priorities
- Basic understanding of and strong appetite to learn data and technology systems
- Adept at developing and refining systems to promote effective and efficient organization, tracking and communication
- Background check must be performed before employment consideration
Compensation and Benefits:
A competitive salary, housing provided in the founder’s historic cabin, automobile provided, health insurance benefits.