Deputy Director for a Global Medical and Social Service Nonprofit
- Degree Level
Penta Medical Recycling
Globally an estimated 60 million people need a prosthetic device, yet 90% of amputees in developing countries have no access to prosthetic care or high-quality limbs. Each year 2 million amputees in the United States replace completely functioning prosthetic devices after only a few years of use. Over 300,000 entirely functional devices sit on clinic shelves, in attics and garages or are added to this country’s landfill annually.
Founded in 2016, Penta Medical Recycling is a global nonprofit organization that bridges the gap between the high volume of high-quality limbs that go to waste and the enormous need for them in low-income countries. Penta’s solution is to repurpose, recycle and rebuild lives.
After only four years, we are already working in 10 countries. In recognition of Penta’s impact, our leadership has received many accolades including the Venture Launch Award, the Yale Entrepreneurial Institute Fellowship, the McKinsey Women’s Impact Award and Forbes 2019 Healthcare 30 Under 30. Among Penta’s supporters are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Ford Foundation and the Clinton Global Foundation.
In 2021 Penta aims to scale up our programs and operations to serve six additional countries, reaching new communities in Asia, South and Central America, and Africa. This ambitious growth will be made possible by expanded global partnerships and fundraising supported by a larger staff and board.
The Deputy Director Position
The new Deputy Director position will play a pivotal role at this exciting time for Penta’s growth and development.
Reporting to Penta’s Co-Founder and Executive Director, the Deputy Director will provide support to further Penta’s programs, external affairs, resource development and operations. Roles and responsibilities will include the following. Please note that they may evolve as Penta grows.
- Develop and steward Penta’s national and global partnerships in collaboration with the Executive Director and Operations Director
- Help identify and establish new partnerships to support program expansion
- Represent Penta at conferences, partner meetings and other occasions as a presenter and speaker when the Executive Director is unable to attend
- Refine and expand strategic communications with partners, donors and prosthetic recipients to gather compelling narratives about Penta’s impact
- Develop these narratives for use in fundraising, communications and building brand awareness
- Spearhead annual fundraising appeals and events
- Build and manage corporate sponsorship outreach in collaboration with the Grant Researcher/Writer
- Oversee marketing and communications, including Penta’s annual report production, social media and website updates as needed
- Manage budget and bookkeeping under the Executive Director’s supervision
- Assist with board and advisor meeting preparations
- Minimum educational level of a B.A. or B.S. degree, with a strong academic background
- Minimum of three to five years of relevant experience
- Global understanding and awareness of current issues
- Resourceful approach, ability to take initiative
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and be detail-oriented
- Ability to handle confidential matters with discretion and diplomacy
- Flexible attitude as may be required to meet changing needs and opportunities for this evolving venture
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Competency with nonprofit financial management
- Proficiency with standard office software (We use the Funraise data base.)
- Comfort with global travel (post-COVID)
In addition, the following would be desirable attributes:
- Experience in fundraising solicitations, sales or other active promotional roles
- Experience in leadership positions or with team management
- Knowledge of disability and related health care issues
- Experience working with amputees
- Foreign language skills
This is a full-time position that offers $75,000–$100,000 annually, commensurate with experience, and a flexible vacation policy. In addition, Penta contributes to the cost of health insurance coverage and professional development opportunities.
NOTE: We are working remotely at this time and expect to return to our Manhattan office based on public health guidelines.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Postings@kavelmangroup.com by March 15, 2021.
More searches like this
- Accounting / Finance International / Foreign Affairs $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in New York City
- Executive / Senior Management International / Foreign Affairs $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in New York City
- Marketing / Communications International / Foreign Affairs $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in New York City
- Program / Project Management International / Foreign Affairs $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in New York City