Chief of Staff
The Chief of Staff reports to the Executive Director providing executive and strategic support focused on making time, information, and decision processes more effective. This role will manage and support DASH’s internal projects, the day-to-day operations of DASH’s Board of Directors and Board Committees. This position will also manage compliance documentation at the instruction of the Executive Director.
This role requires outstanding planning, time management, and organizational skills. Superior attention to detail and the ability to meet tight deadlines and juggle multiple requests is critical. A high level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information, and professionalism in dealing with senior executives is imperative. This is a dynamic role where efficiency and exceptional client services are prized; and a high degree of business acumen and emotional intelligence is expected.
The successful candidate will be well-organized and incredibly diplomatic to support a busy Executive Director’s internal and external commitments. This role also works very closely with all staff requiring the hard skills noted below, and intangible soft skills. The successful candidate must love people, processes, and numbers. A good sense of humor is a must, as is the ability to be flexible and change direction at a moment’s notice.
• Assist in the preparation of materials for presentations by the Executive Director.
• Draft reports, memos, pitch decks, speeches, and presentations for the Executive Director
• Partner with other staff on meeting schedules, especially reviewing meeting, and speaking requests, and ensure that necessary agendas and background materials are prepared.
• Organize and prioritize Executive Director’s calendar and manage logistics for meetings and travel arrangements.
• Prepare Executive Director for upcoming meetings by ensuring he/she has all the information necessary to be productive and engaged.
• Liaise with DASH team members and external contacts on behalf of Executive Director to achieve successful and meaningful results.
• Work directly with the full Executive Team on projects and solving complex problems.
Supporting DASH’s People & Culture
• Support the Executive Director and executive team in reinforcing an inclusive culture of care, transparency, trust, collaboration and fun where all DASH employees feel welcomed, appreciated, and have equal access to opportunity.
Strategic Support & Project Management
• Support DASH’s annual strategic planning process by acting as a project manager and ensuring alignment with the Executive Director, leadership teams and all staff. DASH will be undertaking a new strategic planning effort in 2021.
• Source, onboard and manage a structured, project management tool and platform for DASH to support cross-functional, organization-wide projects or initiatives; bring together important stakeholders and help drive decisions.
• In partnership with Data & Impact Manager - source, onboard and manage a partner relationship management (PRM) system for use across the organization.
• Partner with Data & Impact Manager to measure and document key performance indicators and update dashboards as needed.
• Ensure the Executive Director’s involvement in project or decision-making processes takes place at key times, where his/her input and authority are most needed.
Board of Directors Support
• Maintain Board of Directors information portal, board acknowledgements and recognitions, etc.
• Proactively manage the Board of Directors calendar and the actions required by the Board of Directors. Manage and coordinate the logistics for Board of Directors and Board Committee nominations.
• Coordinate and direct preparation for all meetings of the Board of Directors and Board Committees, including materials and writing minutes from the full Board meeting.
• Provide input into the system for managing Board and Board committee records.
• Manage conflict of interest process for Board of Directors and staff.
• BA/BS in psychology, gender studies, public policy, public administration, non-profit studies, government, or related field. Master’s Degree preferred
• 5+ years of high-level executive expertise required.
• Related work experience in nonprofit/foundation is preferred.
• Experience working with Board of Directors, and executive level staff.
• Experience in strategic planning, data analysis, and budget management
• Proven success in a project management role, with a focus on operations management
• Ability to perform multiple requests and follow through to accurate completion.
• Exceptional and proven time management abilities.
• Outstanding written and oral communication.
• Exceptional and proven decision-making and judgement.
• Demonstrated ability to perform work, independently, expeditiously, and proactively.
• Demonstrates strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated and outstanding organizational and forward-thinking abilities.
• Outstanding customer service and interpersonal skills. Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
• Experience in systems change and social justice movements, particularly in gender-based violence movements.
• Experience in domestic violence service or housing/homeless services, particularly previous experience working with, and compassion for, survivors of domestic and sexual violence.
Proficiency in the following software programs are necessary for this role:
• Project Management Software like Asana, Monday, Basecamp, Clarizen, etc.
• Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
• Internet Browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including public speaking
• Extensive organization skills and attention to detail in calendar management, communications, and other projects to help fortify relationships and represent DASH and the Executive Director.
• Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects concurrently and plan out work accordingly.
• Demonstrated ability to build relationship with and work with people at all levels in organizations.
• Skilled at thinking and executing quickly and effectively.
• Skilled at diligent follow-up and follow-through
• Curiosity, humility, and the ability to work independently and maintain productivity with colleagues and stakeholders in different locations.
• Nimble business mind with a focus on developing creative solutions
• Strong project reporting skills, with a focus on interdepartmental communication
• Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems with little oversight and to summarize complex information for senior executives from internal and external meetings
• Ability to communicate clear message of DASH’s organization wide initiatives within and outside of organization
• Ability to speak and write in the ‘voice’ of organization as well as Executive Director
• Solid coordination skills and ability to support executive leadership develop and implement a comprehensive year-round communication, development, and organizational plan
• Strong business acumen skills, including data analysis, decision making and reporting.
• Ability to successfully function in an environment that requires flexibility and creative thinking while maintaining the integrity of the organization and adhering to the DASH model.