- Experience Level
Job Title Program Associate
Reports to Program Director
Location Irvine, CA
Status Full Time
About the Organization
Sequoia Climate Fund is a new philanthropy that seeks to decarbonize the world economy at a speed and scale equal to the problem. We support bold strategies and efforts that will have both near-term impact and the greatest probability of long-term success. We believe that solving climate change requires the adoption of ambitious, evidence-based policy solutions that transform markets, advance clean technology, and lead to large‐scale change. Sequoia Climate Fund is active in major emitting geographies, including (but not limited to) China, the United States, the European Union, Brazil and India. We are dedicated to building the political will and powerful coalitions needed to achieve these bold policy solutions. Our office and staff are located in Irvine, California.
Program development, delivery and performance
● Conduct research and analysis on specific programs and climate sector trends to support Sequoia Climate Fund in determining strategic priorities and setting operational plans.
● Provide and communicate global and regional analysis verbally and in writing, including developing presentations, graphs and charts to contribute to the strategy and planning process.
● Assist in the development of programmatic strategies, background papers and summary reports for different sectors and geographies.
● Participate in all aspects of grant-making, including initial screening of potential grantees, analyzing background information, soliciting and developing funding proposals, preparing grant recommendations, serving as a focal point on select grantee relationships and conducting site visits.
Sector knowledge and profile-building
● Proactively build and maintain external knowledge and networks to ensure decision-making is shaped by up-to-date insights and research.
● Monitor developments in the field to identify emerging needs, gaps and opportunities.
● Support geographic or sector-relevant research and analysis to inform the effective development, delivery and evaluation of programs and initiatives.
Financial stewardship and administrative responsibilities
● Support the maintenance of annual administrative budgets for programmatic expenses.
● Support the forecasting of grant payments and serve as a compliance checkpoint to ensure grantmaking stays within yearly budgets.
● Maintain grants database, budget spreadsheets and grant calendars, and coordinate grant processes for the team.
● Assist team with planning and coordinating meetings, travel, workshops and convenings; make logistical arrangements as needed; manage consultant contracts.
● Perform other duties and responsibilities as requested.
● Minimum of five years of experience working in climate change or a related field.
● Demonstrated ability to think strategically about how to drive ambitious climate action.
● An advanced degree in a relevant field, or equivalent by experience, is preferred.
● Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain close, collegial and effective working relationships with colleagues and grantees of diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
● Understanding of grantmaking is preferred.
● Excellent strategic thinking, analytic abilities and organizational skills.
● Comfort with quantitative information and data, including budgets and financial information.
● Understanding and embodiment of Sequoia Climate Fund values, including humility and teamwork.
● Willingness to learn, initiative, resourcefulness, flexibility and a sense of humor.
● Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and work both independently and collaboratively.
● Ability to work in a cross-cultural team environment.
● Ability to handle confidential information with complete discretion.
● Excellent English language writing, synthesizing, editing and proofreading skills.
● Willingness to work in our Irvine, CA office.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. The team member may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time as needed.
Covid-19 Hiring Update
We have temporarily transitioned to a work-from-home model and this role is expected to begin as a remote position. To ensure the safety and well-being of our employees, we will continue to monitor the situation and follow the recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as local advisories from the California Department of Public Health and the Orange County Heath Care Agency. Once circumstances allow, staff will be required to work full-time from our office in Irvine, California.
Salary and Benefits
Sequoia Climate Fund offers competitive compensation including a generous benefits package. This package includes payment of 100% of the health insurance premiums for employees (and 80% of the premiums for spouses, domestic partners, and qualified family members). Sequoia Climate Fund also offers other benefits including life insurance, long‐term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan (with an employer match), support for continuing education, up to $5,250 in annual student loan repayment OR college savings assistance for qualified dependents and is committed to providing transgender‐inclusive healthcare.
How to Apply
For employment consideration, please submit your application to email@example.com Subject Line: “[Your name] — Program Associate.”
All applications must include:
● A resumé; and
● A thoughtful cover letter, including salary requirements (specifying salary amount or range) and how you became aware of this opportunity
Sequoia Climate Fund Institutional Culture of Respect, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Sequoia Climate Fund believes we are strengthened by the diversity of our staff, and welcome such diversity including race, gender identity or expression, educational attainment, disability, veteran status, and personal experience with the criminal justice system. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and we strongly encourage people of color and persons with disabilities to apply. We actively cultivate an institutional culture that reflects the values of respect, equity, and inclusion that we seek to amplify in the larger world.
Sequoia Climate Fund hires, promotes and retains employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by the Foundations’ service needs and business requirements. All personnel decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge, are made without discrimination based on any protected characteristic as defined by law (e.g., race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, domestic partner status, veteran or military status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, and prior criminal convictions, as well as educational attainment.
NOTE: At this time, our preference is that applicants have work authorization to work in the United States.
The application deadline is 2/28/2021 (candidates selected for interview will be contacted following the end of the application period.)
No phone calls please.