Director of Advancement
- Experience Level
TeachUNITED is an international non-profit dedicated to improving student outcomes by bridging the equity gap for teachers. By providing access to coaching and training programs to teachers in rural and underserved communities, we empower teachers where the disparity is most acute. A rapidly growing organization, TeachUNITED reaches thousands of teachers and children with a goal of improving education for 1 million students by 2030.
As a rapidly growing organization with a budget approaching $1.5 million ($6M over the next three years), we are seeking an experienced and motivated Director of Advancement to work closely with the Executive Leadership Team to build on our strong momentum to date. The Director will play a key role to help advance the mission of TeachUNITED by securing funds needed to expand the reach and impact of our programs across the US, Latin America, and East Africa.
This is a critical, dynamic and exciting opportunity for someone who is motivated and passionate about advancing TeachUNITED’s mission by shaping and building both philanthropic funding strategy and direct sales marketing. The Director of Advancement will lead strategy, teams, fundraising and communications for all income sources including (1) direct product sales , (2) individual donors , (3) foundation grants, and (4) corporate social sponsorship.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Partner with the CEO, Program, and Operations leadership to develop joint goals. The Director of Advancement is responsible for managing and planning efforts in marketing, communications, development / fundraising, and sales, and manages the organization's strategic initiatives as they relate to revenue and funding priorities.
- Drive internal project management for the development team including cultivating and maintaining funnel leads, developing a pipeline of prospects and revenue, identifying sales opportunities, and tracking conversion to income that is all closely monitored and tracked in Salesforce CRM.
- Collaborate with executive leadership to develop and implement a data-driven organizational road map to target new potential funders and individual donors, support US sales goals through direct marketing and respond to RFPs.
Marketing & Communications
- Align development staff in a communications strategy for all income sources - sales & philanthropy.
- Develop marketing plan, content, and collateral to support direct sales to US district clients.
- Create and align branded content for the website, print collateral, social media strategy and other sales, marketing, media needs for US and international programs.
Sales & Business Development
- Manage the writing, revision and submission of targeted funding proposals (e.g. RFPs, grants) in collaboration with development and program teams.
- Conduct meetings, attend conferences, and organize events to engage new prospective funders or clients.
- Collaborate with the sales team to explore potential revenue streams for products and services.
- Create and manage targeted marketing campaigns and track ROI in Salesforce CRM
- Support the cultivation of new donor pipeline through targeted outreach, current donors, partner organizations, supporting Board outreach efforts, etc.
- Oversee the stewardship plan to strengthen relationships with current donors through communications, correspondence, quarterly reports/reporting requirements mailings, etc.
- Organize and oversee donor engagement events and visits with an ability to combine program knowledge, hospitality, and active listening to ensure a good experience and appropriate follow up.
Department and Financial Management
- Propose, manage, and track project budgets while maintaining accurate and transparent records working with the Sr. Director of Operations.
- Respond to emerging needs of the Sales, Implementation, and Monitoring & Evaluation Data teams in collaboration with the Sr. Director of Programs.
- Participate in the performance appraisal process of development staff.
- Adhere to confidentiality, non disclosure agreement(s), and all policies and procedures of TeachUNITED as outlined in the Employment Handbook.
- Given the early stage nature of TeachUNITED, all employees must be flexible team players and comfortable with the limited resources, global context, and remote working culture.
- Other project management, communications and financial management duties as reasonably assigned by the Executive Leadership Team.
Minimal travel required
- Attend sales and donor meetings, as required.
- Attend TU leadership meetings and training in US or other locations, as required.
- COVID-19 CDC safety guidelines and travel restrictions prioritized.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5+ years experience in managing a team plus educational sales, philanthropy development and/or business management.
- English proficiency (additional language skills in Spanish or Swahili preferred)
- Technology proficiency required in Google applications (Sheets, Docs, Slides), CRM Database, and communication tools (video conferencing, email, message apps).
Team Member Characteristics
- Inspired - You have a strong “why” that connects you to our mission, our beneficiaries and the desire to impact the global education space.
- Innovative: You have the ability to test and learn new approaches to marketing that engage customers and prospects.
- Compelling - You have the ability to communicate a rigorous, yet compelling story about impact whether in RFPs, to donors, or to international funding organizations.
- Positive & friendly - You are comfortable and capable of leading a positive team, talking to funders, and leading events and strategic projects with clients.
- Initiative - You are efficient at managing your own time, appointments, projects, and personnel at a rapid pace. You enjoy developing, creating and problem-solving.
- Leadership - You are focused on maintaining high standards as a team leader during a period of rapid scale.
- Network - You have a great reputation and are well-connected to donors, foundations, school leaders and education officials.
Email your letter of interest, and resume with three references included to: email@example.com