Communications Associate, Black Futures Lab
- Experience Level
The Black Futures Lab 501(c)3 works to make Black communities powerful in politics. We transform Black communities into constituencies that wield independent, political power at the municipal, state, and federal level. The problems our communities face are complex; the solutions to those problems require imagination, experimentation, and political power. We advance strategies that help us imagine the alternatives we deserve, while building political power at the local, state and national level in order to implement those alternatives.
The Communications Associate drives the development and implementation of both internal and external communications for the Black Futures Lab. This role is responsible for conveying the organization’s voice and perspective through clear, concise and powerful written products that will reach media entities, partners, funders, supporters and community members. The Communications Associate is also responsible for overseeing the organization’s digital communications strategy, shaping our public narrative through all web and other social marketing channels. The Communications Associate reports directly to the Communications Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conceive and produce internal and external communication materials and publications with a heavy emphasis on writing, including but not limited to reports, briefs for funders, etc.
- Develop digital outreach materials, including but not limited to newsletters, website articles, etc. to increase engagement, grow target audience and raise brand visibility
- Play a leadership role in developing a comprehensive communications strategy for the organization
- Develop and implement project or campaign-specific strategic communication plans
- Develop and implement crisis communication plans
- Serve as point person to field media requests and act as an organizational spokesperson, develop staff talking points and messaging themes, draft all press correspondence, including but not limited to press releases, press kits, and pitches
- Prepare detailed media activity reports
- Regularly create successful email campaigns to target specific audiences and perform analysis on campaign performance to aid in fine-tuning future campaigns.
- Create briefs for designer to generate visuals and other organization collateral
- Maintain transparent systems to execute deliverables before or on deadline - strong project management, highly organized
- Identify and present opportunities for consistency in messaging across all channels
- Work closely with organization leads to develop hard-hitting and effective campaigns with clear quantitative and qualitative goals
- Able to track and capture analytics
- Support fundraising efforts including developing content for grant proposals and reports
- Document stories and milestones for the organization and contribute to special projects
- Support the organization’s Storytelling Program, including working with participants to craft narratives that appeal to media interest
- Proactively develop, present, and implement practices and trainings to support a work-culture of growth and leadership development in communications
- Support an environment of staff engagement by providing consistent and effective feedback, guidance, and opportunities to engage in structured and unstructured professional development
Education and Experience:
- At least 3 years of experience working with Black communities
- At least 3 years of communications, marketing, and public relations experience with documented outcomes
- At least 1 year of organizational leadership experience
- Some experience acting as an organizational spokesperson
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Mastery level of online platforms, including but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, MailChimp, Powerpoint, etc.
- Proven experience writing for the web and social media, with a strong preference for a proven track-record building successful content strategies.
- A nuanced understanding of the current and historical Black organizing political landscape.
- Ability to connect with, engage and document the movement of Black leaders, activists, and people from different communities.
- A strong ability to raise the profile of the organization, its projects and grow the intended target audience
- Ability to communicate involved concepts and themes, especially as it relates to politics, in a way that is accessible and digestible by lay people
- Excellent organizational and project management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to multi-task and re-prioritize as needed
- Possesses a sense of urgency; is self-motivated and detail-minded
- Proven success developing and executing communications strategies and campaigns
- Strong knowledge of communication practices and techniques, and able to stay ahead of the curve
- Capable of working well as part of a team as well as independently
- Proven success developing creative and innovative media pitches; the ability to think outside of the box
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Experience working with LGBTQOC communities
Ability to work long hours, nights, and weekends.
Due to concerns related to COVID-19, this position will function as remote until further notice.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is $70,000 - $80,000. Black Futures Lab offers comprehensive benefits packages including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, life insurance, employee assistance and other resources to support a centered, healthy quality of life for staff and their families.
How to Apply:
Submit resume, cover letter and writing sample (combined in one PDF), and submit three references to https://cpasf.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=103. Open until filled.
Chinese Progressive Association is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, youth, LGBTQ and disabled people are encouraged to apply. Pursuant of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.