6 days left
- Experience Level
California Trout (CalTrout) is a highly recognized and effective 501(c)3 conservation organization headquartered in San Francisco. For over 50 years, CalTrout has championed a remarkable number of initiatives focused on solving complex resource issues that balance the needs of fish and people. CalTrout has six regionally based offices located in key geographies where wild fish influence local communities. Our professional staff drives innovative, science-based solutions that work for the diverse interests of fish, farms, commerce and the community. CalTrout is backed by a passionate Board of Directors, along with highly committed donors and a strong membership base.
California Trout is seeking a motivated professional Finance Director. The Finance Director will be responsible for oversight of finance, accounting and reporting activities and will lead all day-to-day finance operations of a growing company budget.
The Finance Director leads the Finance Department team consisting of a Finance Manager CPA, Contracts Administrator, Payroll team and support staff. The Finance Director will work closely with the Executive Director and Chief Administrative Officer to implement finance strategies that ensure the continued success and development of the finance team. The Finance Director is responsible for the overall accounting process, ensuring compliance with multiple regulatory agencies, including Federal and State. The Finance Director will ensure policies and procedures are followed to ensure compliance and administrative success.
The Finance Director reports to the Chief Administrative Officer in close coordination with the Executive Director. The position also works in close partnership with other Directors as part of the senior leadership team at California Trout.
• Direct the Finance Department
• Supervise staff accountant performing transactional accounting, benefits administration
• Participates in the development and analysis of long-term plans
• Directs and participates in the timely closing of financial periods
• Manage cash and investments
• Prepare and direct preparation of financial statements, reports and forecasts for internal and external stakeholders
• Analyze financial information to support decision making
• Grant and Contract, tracking and reporting
• Continued development of Internal Financial Controls
• Coordinate with CAO on Annual Audits
• Ensures the Integration of Finance with other functional areas, including Development
• Develop internal control policies, procedures and guidelines for activities such as budget administration, cash and credit management and accounting.
• Maintain current knowledge of organizational policies and procedures, government regulations and accounting standards.
• Five plus years of related experience, ideally in a nonprofit setting.
• Bachelor’s Degree with CPA, MNA or other advanced degree preferred, or additional high-level experience without a degree.
• Knowledge of economics, business management, and generally accepted accounting principles for nonprofit organizations. • Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience, including ability to set objectives, and manage performance and evaluations.
• Strong critical thinking, judgement, problem-solving, time management, and priority setting.
• Demonstrated technology skills, including accounting software (QuickBooks), spreadsheets, databases, and cloud-based tools.
• Ability to translate and report complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels, including non-finance managers. Assisting CAO and Executive Director on reports for CalTrout Board of Directors.
What We Offer:
California Trout offers a competitive compensation package, with excellent health insurance (medical, dental, vision), plus a match on 403(b) retirement plan. Our talented staff are caring, dedicated, and committed to our mission. We work hard and support each other, in a fun and collaborative environment. We also think outside the box and remain flexible to take advantage of new opportunities. This position is ideally based in San Francisco but willing to discuss other arrangement throughout California.
California Trout is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects CalTrout’s mission is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.