Director of Programs and Outreach
- Willingness to Travel
- up to 25%
Food Well Alliance is a collaborative network of local leaders working together to build thriving community gardens and urban farms in metro Atlanta. We believe that locally-grown food is a tool for building healthier communities and that thriving gardens and farms strengthen the heart of cities. We work with over 120 community gardens and 35 urban farms in neighborhoods across Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, Clayton and Gwinnett counties.
In 2017, Food Well Alliance published "Atlanta's Local Food Baseline Report" and discovered three key challenges to advancing urban agriculture — lack of coordinated resources for urban gardens and farms, lack of growers' participation in policy decision-making, and lack of residents' connection to fresh, locally- grown food. Working collaboratively with strong regional partners, we are addressing challenges through three specific programs:
- Resource Center: We identify innovative, best-in-class programs and provide grants as well as technical and physical resources to help community gardens and urban farms thrive.
- Policy and Advocacy: We collaborate with local government leaders to develop inclusive policies and plans that include resources for gardens and farms, like compost and land, with a goal to ignite a regional coalition for urban agriculture. We host round table discussions between farmers and distributors to make the urban agricultural community function better.
- Educational Experiences: We design and execute unforgettable events and educational experiences that connect communities to where their food comes from and to the people who grow it.
The Director of Programs & Outreach is a big picture thinker, a process architect and driven by the needs of our local food community. S/he is a natural innovator, with an entrepreneurial spirit and knows how to work across the organization to integrate Food Well Alliance’s resource center offerings, grantmaking, convening, and storytelling into best-in-class programs. These programs should build the capacity of urban farmers, community gardeners, and local food leaders while advancing the role and impact of urban agriculture across metro Atlanta. Above all, the Director of Programs & Outreach is a trusted community leader, a natural collaborator and a strong manager, with a proven track record of program development, impeccable execution and measurable success.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, design ongoing programs that integrate and institutionalize Food Well Alliance’s processes of grantmaking, capacity building and convening for growers and those who work in the local food movement.
- Create, understand and articulate a detailed vision of support for urban farm, community gardens and local food organizations, including but not limited to mentorship, technical assistance, volunteer support, and collaborative models of resource sharing
- Activate innovative programming utilizing the new 970 Jefferson Street building as an asset that serves our constituents and engages the community
- Serve as trusted liaison between Food Well Alliance and various members of metro Atlanta’s local food system and movement
- Serve as the direct supervisor of the Grant & Relationship Manager, Community Gardens Manager and Project and Impact Manager
- Partner with the Director of Marketing & Experience to ensure that the wider volunteer and supporter community has consistent opportunities to engage with the Food Well Alliance brand and mission
- Work directly with the Senior Manager, Donor & Public Relations to create compelling grant requests that will attract funds to support new and existing programs and promote stories that will attract media attention
- Lead the development of systems and processes to ensure program efficiency and effectiveness
- Work with the evaluation staff to develop and utilize metrics for tracking project impact and program deliverables
- Establish, build and nurture collaborative partnerships with local organizations and institutions providing resources, education and training to community growers and leaders in metro Atlanta
- Bring a fresh, confident and innovative perspective, with equity and justice in mind, to the Food Well Alliance team that will help transition our organization from start up to scale up
- At least 7 years of management experience, and preferred demonstrated success in business development, community development, nonprofit management, urban agriculture, and food systems
- Expertise in program development and evaluation
- Strong understanding of technology and information systems pertinent to the role
- Proven record of results
The salary range is $65,000 - $75,000. Benefits are comprehensive and include medical insurance, life insurance, 3% employer-matched contributions toward a 401(k)-retirement plan and a generous paid-time-off policy.
DIVERSE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Food Well Alliance is a community that is proud to represent different racial, socio-economic, gender, and other identities. Our diversity as a community is our strength, driving our ability to be empathetic, visionary, and effective leaders in the local food movement and our city.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your cover letter and resume in one PDF document to email@example.com, to the attention of Kate Conner, Executive Director, by March 8, 2021. Include “Director of Programs & Outreach_Last Name” in the email subject line.