1 day left
- Experience Level
Communications Coordinator Position
The Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta (UUCA) is looking for someone to join our team as a full time Communications Coordinator with skills and creativity in digital content production and content management, knowledge of and experience with online platforms, and eagerness to help our community connect internally and externally.
You will report to the Director of Finance and Operations and work with our team of staff and volunteers to assist with congregational communications and amplify interest in UUCA and its community voice, social justice, and climate action work. We aim to increase awareness of our congregation, grow our membership and add to our community.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Work hours are generally flexible and will be negotiated with the supervisor. UUCA is located in the North Druid Hills neighborhood of Atlanta and, due to COVID-19, the role will begin remotely but may move to onsite once it is safe to do so. The ability to work on Sundays is highly preferred.
The annual salary range for this position is $36,000 to $40,000 depending on experience and qualifications. The position is eligible for medical and dental benefits after 30 days of employment, and 401k contributions after 1 year of employment.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Amplify UUCA’s vision and values, impact, and engagement across our social media channels, website, and weekly order of service and email newsletters.
- Produce and maintain marketing collateral (flyers, brochures, posters, monitor announcements, and other materials) in digital and print formats.
- Assist in developing new ways for UUCA to engage the greater community and grow our reach, including helping increase our congregation’s size and diversity.
- Assist our Social Justice teams by promoting social justice, mobilization, and climate action events and sharing the latest news and follow-up actions with internal and external audiences.
- Propose ways to increase the success, reach, and engagement of our communications both internally and with the greater community, and track results.
- Provide communications and editorial support to UUCA staff and volunteers through collaboration.
- Manage strategy, content calendar, and oversee all social media initiatives.
- Facilitate the internal communication of the various program areas.
- Oversee the congregational calendar, allowing for a one-stop location for all UUCA events.
- Attends weekly staff and supervision meetings.
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly.
- Produce congregational membership-related mailings for printing as directed.
- Develop a clear subscription process for all publications and establish methods to maintain “clean” lists that integrate with our membership database.
- Oversees the congregational website, content, and links.
- Writes copy, creates graphics, videos, and photos needed to help tell the congregation’s story.
- Grows web and social media with the intention of bringing new people into our community.
- Regular review and analysis of marketing activities for growth/improvement.
- Membership in the UU Church Administrators professional organization and adherence to the professional code of conduct and staff covenant is required upon hire.
- A robust and cross-platform writer and communicator who can work fast, is detail-oriented, and meets deadlines.
- The knowledge and ability to manage content accurately across platforms for consistency.
- Must possess the capability to write skillfully at both the grammatical level and the "story" level - coherently, cohesively, and concisely.
- Ability to edit others’ content for consistency of style and tone and quality.
- The ability to create content messaging that resonates with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Basic graphic design and visual literacy (e.g., developing images for social media, an eye for detail and quality images, crafting great-looking visuals, etc.)
- A good understanding of digital platforms, outreach, and engagement.
- A collaborative team player who would work well with staff and volunteers alike.
- Experience with many of the following and a willingness to become familiar with the others: WordPress, Adobe Indesign (Creative Suite), Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, Zoom, Canva, Flocknote, Mailchimp, Hootsuite, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc.), Video editing software (Final Cut, Imovie, Adobe Premiere, Vegas, etc.)
Attention to Detail: Consistently attends to the many small pieces which must be assembled into an organized whole; follows up on missing or out of balance items; resolves unanswered questions needed to address a problem; keeps the larger picture in mind while tending to the smallest of details.
Communication: Knowledge of good communications strategies and best practices for internal and external communication. Is able to write clearly and succinctly; employs correct grammar, punctuation, and patterns of speech; delivers clear messages in a tone appropriate to the context. Creatively finds ways to ensure that a wide variety of people understand the intended message
Time Management: Is able and willing to focus time on tasks that contribute to
organizational goals; Uses time effectively and efficiently; values time and respects the
time of others; concentrates his/her efforts on the most important priorities; can
appropriately balance priorities.
Organizational Knowledge: Knowledgeable about how congregational communication, decision making and leadership works; knows how to get things done through formal and informal decision making channels; can maneuver through charged political situations effectively and compassionately; anticipates organizational barriers and plans his/her approach accordingly.
Technical Expertise: Acquires and demonstrates the technical skills required to proficiently execute the essential functions of the job; understands which skills are lacking and seeks to develop those skills; continually works toward the mastery of technical proficiency, seeks solutions independently.
Integrity and Trust: Is seen as trustworthy by others; practices direct, honest and transparent communication; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn’t operate with hidden agendas; responds to situations with constancy and reliability.
Initiative: Enjoys working hard; is action-oriented and energetic about worthwhile activities; not fearful of taking calculated risks; seizes opportunities; sets demanding but achievable objectives for self and others.
Interpersonal relationships: Enjoys working collaboratively as part of a team and creating an atmosphere conducive to teamwork with a variety of personalities, paid and volunteer. Has the ability to communicate succinctly and clearly in writing and speech.
Skilled at Project Management: Identifies the key objectives and scope of a proposed project; garners needed resources and project support, develops a realistic and thorough plan for achieving key objectives, keeps team members briefed on progress, implements action plans, communicates progress to sponsors, identifies and resolves barriers and problems.
Oriented to Today’s Technological Tools for Maximum Impact: Appreciates using tech for impact, and likes finding ways to help the organization enhance efficiency and effectiveness through both software and hardware. Must have a fluency in cloud-based systems, preferably with experience using a customer management system.
Seriously Committed to the Work, but Not too Serious: Our mission is to unleash courageous love in a time filled with too much division and fear. The right person will take this mission seriously, and orient their work towards this end. In order to take up this mission, we know that we must center joy and gratitude. The right person will get this, and bring an energy of fun and bring a sense of humor and an easy laughter in all they do.
How to apply:
Please send the following in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your resume
- A cover letter with your interest. In your cover letter, please include a note about how you found out about this job posting and a few lines about why you’re interested in working with the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta in this role. Please note relevant skills, experience, and other criteria you have from the “must-have” and “nice-to-have” skills, knowledge, and other measures. Please include information about your openness to and involvement with different spiritual perspectives, social justice issues, and environmental issues.
- Links to relevant examples of social media content, accounts, websites, or posts. Please also explain your role on those accounts or projects, if not your accounts (e.g., if they were a collaboration, what was your role, or note a few of the posts that were yours, did you have additional graphics support or editing help). Please include at least two content samples. If you do not have existing public examples, you can create new ones for this application.
After the review of initial applications, interviews are anticipated to be held in February with a potential short assignment for shortlisted candidates. The start date is expected to be in early March. Please indicate if you do not wish for your application to be retained for other potential future opportunities. While we appreciate your interest, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
UUCA values an environment free of discrimination, respects differences, and allows employees to bring their full selves to work. We value diversity, and we strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply for this position. If you require accommodation measures for the selection process, please notify us.
UUCA is a congregation of approximately 600 members and offers the following statement to interest new members:
"At the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta (UUCA) you will find a faith community that encourages and supports your religious curiosity and spiritual growth. We invite you to bring your whole self to this community: your curiosity, your full identity, and your unique talents.
Located in the North Druid Hills neighborhood, UUCA is one of the largest Unitarian Universalist congregations in the United States, with roots in Atlanta going back more than 120 years. UUCA’s 600 members and contributing friends hail from all corners of the Atlanta area and represent many diverse backgrounds."