Special Education Paraprofessional - Intervener Support
4 days left
- Experience Level
Special Education Professional/Intervener Support: Private School - Full Time & Part Time Hourly Options Available
Are you interested in working with children with complex communication needs & multiple disabilities in a private school setting? The Ellis Center is an incredible place to work with a collaborative, integrated & mindful culture that believes unconditionally in the possibilities for our students & program participants (including Camp ImpAACt) ages 5 thru 22yrs old.
We are currently seeking an Intervener/Classroom Support Role (a Special Education Direct Service Professional) for the 2020-2021 academic school year over approximately 200 instructional days per year. This hourly position will guarantee the candidate regular work hours thru the end of the school year, with the ability to renew, dependent on performance. Some virtual/tele-instruction may be available/required pending needs of the student & Ellis Center.
Position Summary & Responsibilities:
- An Intervener is a one-to-one service provider with specialized training and skills in deafblindness. The intervener helps students with deafblindness and/or other disabilities gather information, learn concepts & skills, develop communication & language, and establish relationships that lead to greater independence.
- At Ellis Center, Interveners & Support Staff work with children with and without deafblindness, and may include work with students with other complex communication needs.
- Work collaboratively with Teachers, Therapists/Specialists, Family members & other Interveners on the team to provide an integrated & whole-child approach to instruction & language development.
- Facilitate the development and/or use of the student’s receptive and expressive communication skills.
- Develop and maintain an interactive relationship built upon a bond of trust & respect with the student promoting the student’s self-esteem, self-determination skills while promoting social and emotional development and well-being on an ongoing basis.
- Become proficient in student’s individual communication methods and strategies, including but not limited to ASL/modified tactile sign language, edit/modify/manage Student’s speech generating device(s) or other AAC system, use of multiple communication modalities simultaneously, etc.
- Accompany & support the student during community-based instruction/enrichment programming & promote social interactions with peers.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred. High School Diploma/GED required.
Certification/Licensure: National Intervener Credential (or be actively enrolled in program to obtain proper credential(s) & qualifications necessary to meet the National Intervener Credential - paid for/reimbursed by Ellis Center).
Experience: Minimum of 1 year of special needs experience, with preference given to those with ASL skills, and/or those who have worked with children with sensory impairments & are AAC users.
- Hourly range $14-$17 per hour & dependent on experience & proficiency.
- This is an 11-month position including standard school closures for Holidays, Spring Break, etc. & paid based upon hours worked.
- Healthcare benefits & Life insurance paid at 100% for Employee may be available for some candidates.
- Optional disability, dental & vision benefits available.