- Experience Level
An administrative whiz who will meticulously support Namati’s senior leadership in the fulfillment of our mission.
About the Position
Namati is searching for an astute, mission-driven person to join our team as the Executive Associate (EA) in our Washington, DC office. Supporting our CEO, Vivek Maru, (70%) and COO, Indira Sarma, (30%), the EA will provide flawless administrative and logistical support while being nimble and responsive to our fast-paced environment. This is a challenging and exciting position at the heart of Namati’s core team, with a unique vantage point into the running of a dynamic global justice organization.
Exceptionally organized, proactive, creative, and, most of all, relentless, the EA will be deft at juggling multiple responsibilities while problem-solving and troubleshooting on many fronts. In addition to being an administrative whiz, the EA will possess excellent written and verbal communication skills with the tact and discretion to communicate graciously with our global staff and external stakeholders. With responsibilities that range from processing travel expense reports to managing logistics for high-level global meetings for Namati’s board and leadership, the EA must exhibit excellence in every task, large or small.
Here’s what you might have tackled last week-
- Thoroughly prepared Vivek for a meeting with a new potential funder; liaised with their Executive Director’s EA to lock in the timing and agenda; worked with Namati’s Director of Development to brief Vivek on the foundation’s areas of focus; ensured that all relevant Namati staff are invited to the meeting; and helped Vivek follow up on next steps after the meeting.
- Secured travel visas and mapped complex itineraries as Vivek and Indira each prepare multi-country trips with numerous overlapping components. Thought seven steps ahead to secure on the ground logistics (travel, transport, lodging) and ensured that both were provided with comprehensive logistical details for every step of their trip before they departed.
- Ensured that Vivek’s staff check-in calls were rescheduled for the week he will be presenting at a human rights conference in Istanbul.
- Troubleshot an Outlook sync error with Namati's IT vendor on Vivek’s computer an hour before he was to leave for a trip to rural Sierra Leone.
- Supported Indira in planning and preparation for the Q3 leadership call by creating an online survey of suggested discussion topics for a vote by leadership.
- Drawing on meeting notes from Vivek and from Namati’s Director of Development, drafted a follow-up email to an environmental justice foundation lead in Vivek’s voice, thanking her for making the time to meet with our team and sending some additional supplementary materials.
- Tracked down missing receipts from one of Vivek’s previous trips to India and submitted the relevant expenditure forms to the finance team.
- Updated Vivek’s CV after his most recent essay on democratizing the power of the law in the US was published in Democracy: A Journal of Ideas
- Track record of excellence in a support role: You genuinely enjoy, and have demonstrable experience (at least one year) directly supporting senior managers/executives.
- Exceptionally organized and attentive to detail: You are hyper-organized and detail-oriented by nature and take pleasure in letting no ball drop as you deftly juggle multiple projects. As a matter of practice, you proactively check and double check your work to ensure it’s free of errors.
- Calm and effective under pressure: In previous jobs or internships, you have excelled at a high volume of complex logistical details, switching gears, and thoughtfully prioritizing at high speeds. You thrive in fast- paced environments.
- Deep sense of ownership and responsibility: You epitomize reliability, and you’ve always been recognized as the person whom others inherently trust to get the job done quickly and accurately.
- Nimble, creative, problem-solving: Although careful planning and execution define your work, you are positive and graceful when unexpected challenges arise. You quickly reorient and identify the best new course of action.
- Grounded in sound judgment: You are well-regarded for your judgment and ability to make reasoned decisions, even in the face of limited or conflicting information.
- Skilled with communication: Your written and verbal communications demonstrate both clarity of thought, analysis, and sensitivity to audience and context.
- Tech savvy: You are a technophile -- when working with a new program or application, you quickly become fluent.
- Ambitious and relentless: It’s in your nature to work tirelessly on a problem until you’ve seen through the solution that will best advance the ultimate aim of the project. You are a quick study who excels at learning to do things you’ve never done before.
- Growth oriented: You are always seeking to better yourself and your work, and you will push yourself to the peak of performance to help fulfill our mission. In service of that growth, you welcome and delight in feedback from supervisors, peers, and anyone else.
- Collaborative and service-oriented: You greet everyone you encounter with a collaborative spirit, kindness, and empathy. You are known as a team-player who brings an “all hands on deck” mindset to all projects -- you’re happy to contribute however you can to advance Namati’s mission.
Namati is dedicated to placing the power of law in the hands of people.
For billions of people around the world, the law is broken. It’s an abstraction—or worse, a threat—but not something they can use to exercise their basic rights.
Namati advances justice by equipping people to know, use, and shape the laws that affect them.
Namati and its partners have supported cadres of community paralegals – sometimes known as barefoot lawyers or grassroots legal advocates – in ten countries. These paralegals equip their communities to protect common lands, enforce environmental law, and secure basic rights to healthcare and citizenship.
In all ten countries, their grassroots work has led to improvements to entire systems: a new anti-bribery policy for the health sector in Mozambique, for example, improved sand-mining regulations in India, and greater protection for women’s rights in Sierra Leonean land law.
Globally, Namati convenes the Global Legal Empowerment Network, more than 2,000 groups from 160 countries who are learning from one another and collaborating on common challenges. This community successfully advocated for the inclusion of access to justice in the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
As we move into our next phase, we’re growing our global team of passionate, results-oriented, big-hearted advocates, united by a common mission and a strong culture:
- Our mission is our North Star. It’s why we all wake up every day. We pour our hearts into this work.
- We’re innovators and changemakers. We are a young, energetic social enterprise and we know that our work is urgent. We believe in being nimble and doing what works.
- Our work makes real, tangible, measurable progress in people’s lives. We take abstract concepts – rule of law and human rights – and make them concrete, helping people find solutions that improve their lives every day.
- We walk our talk. Our movement is about legal empowerment and we bring this spirit of empowerment and collaboration to all our partnerships. We hold humility as a core value: we lead when necessary and follow when necessary.
- We are a truly global organization. Our offices are located in Delhi, Freetown, Maputo, Nairobi, Washington DC, and Yangon, and our staff come from all corners of the world. We are united by our common mission.
- We see our people as our most valuable resource. We bring on individuals of the highest caliber and character and we mentor, train, and support our staff.
- We hold one another in the highest esteem. Our work relationships are built on deep abiding respect and love.
For more about what it’s like to work at Namati, please see our Cultural Principles.
Washington, DC. Please note, you must already be legally authorized to work in the United States to be considered for the position. Due to COVID-19, Namati remains a remote-first organization for the foreseeable future and until further notice.
Compensation & benefits
This is a nonexempt position. With overtime, the salary range for this position is roughly $47,000 - $53,000, commensurate with experience.
Namati offers an excellent benefits package, which includes-
- Health insurance- Namati pays 80% of the base plan premium for individuals, and 50% for dependents
- 3 weeks' paid vacation, 12 sick days, 11 federal holidays, 3 personal days, 6 weeks' parental leave
- 401(k)- Namati contributes 5% of your salary plus matches your contribution up to an additional 5%
- Pre-tax withholding for transportation and parking (Washington DC metro area)
- Access to professional development opportunities
Please complete our online application form. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Please note we strongly prefer for your application materials (cover letter, CV) to be uploaded in one PDF.
No phone calls, please. Namati is an Equal Opportunity Employer
More searches like this
- Administrative / Clerical International / Foreign Affairs $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Event Planning International / Foreign Affairs $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Legal International / Foreign Affairs $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Research International / Foreign Affairs $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.