President and CEO
- Experience Level
Organizational Mission: The Smart Energy Consumer Collaborative (SECC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit research and education corporation. SECC’s mission is to serve as a trusted source of information on consumer’s views of grid modernization, energy delivery and usage, and to help consumers understand the benefits of smart energy.
SECC’s vision is that consumers have an understanding of the benefits of smart energy.
Summary: The President/CEO is responsible for the consistent achievement of SECC’s mission and financial objectives. He/she is responsible for overall management and operation, for implementing policies set by the Board of Directors, for achieving annual goals and objectives, and for administrative management of a virtual staff of contractors and working committees populated by members.
- Membership. Recruit new members. Ensure retention and new member income goals are met.
- Program Delivery. Participate on and guide the relevant committees to ensure that SECC delivers on its mission. Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization's work. Oversee the annual consumer symposium and fall member’s meeting. Oversee the work of any board committees or working committees. Oversee the education component of the SECC’s mission to ensure tools, messaging, whitepapers, etc. are developed and available to educate key stakeholders to help extend their understanding of consumer views and attitudes around energy technology. Publish consumer research studies to extend stakeholder understanding of consumer’s values and attitudes and awareness of energy technology and grid modernization through direct foundational research.
- Staffing. Hire and manage staff as necessary for optimal organizational function. Oversee staff growth and training, manage issues, ensure staff have all necessary support as required.
- Partnering and relationship management. Establish partnerships with key organizations critical to accomplishing SECC’s goals. Manage those relationships and the linkages between them.
- Organizational. Act as the chief executive officer. Execute legal documents. Assure that the organization has a long-range strategy and makes consistent and timely progress towards those goals. Lead the development of program, organizational and financial plans. Interface with all relevant committees. See that the Board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it. Conduct monthly Board meetings by phone or web meeting. Carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
- Public Relations. Serve as the public face of the organization, assuring that SECC and its mission are consistently presented with a strong, positive image. Deliver speeches, conduct interviews, oversee marketing and PR activities, and interface with the relevant committees. Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- Financial. Oversee all accounting functions for budgeting, forecasting and analysis. Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations. Oversee the collection of dues from members. Make monthly reports to the Board of Directors forecasting cash flow and comparing budget to actual. In consultation with the Board, solicit grants from government agencies and charitable foundations.
Successful candidates will have strong written and oral communication skills. They will have relevant organizational, administrative, partnering and financial management experience. The President/CEO will be comfortable in a hands-on role and willing to do the essential tasks required to grow a young organization.
Non-profit experience strongly preferred, including experience getting work done through volunteer committees. Position does not require residence in any particular state. Experience in and contacts in the electric power industry an advantage. Experience in other related industries helpful, particularly those with a strong regulatory or policy component.