Seeking Advisory Board Members: EmpowHER. Change a Life.
- Experience Level
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Raising BeYOUtiful Butterflies ("RBB") mission is to educate and empower girls ages 4-21 by inspiring them to recognize and embrace their own potential to be confident, self-sufficient, unique, determined, and powerful in their lives as well as in their communities, while encouraging sisterhood. We are committed to inspiring and challenging girls to pursue academic excellence, leadership, and personal growth and development, while defining a vision for how they will make positive contributions to their future endeavors and communities. As we celebrate our growth, we also recognize that we have an opportunity to enhance our organization and extend the capacity of the Board and staff with an Advisory Board. Adding new members will add diversity, help us capitalize on our momentum, and make our organization even stronger. We are seeking individuals who can bring unique expertise in fundraising, human resources, law, strategic planning, and the arts to further the mission and reach of Raising BeYOUtiful Butterflies.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Establish policies for administering the program and services that are in harmony with the purpose of the organization. Employ, assist, evaluate and support the CEO. Secure funds required for current expenses by mobilizing and assisting in fundraising and funding efforts. Ensure that the financial affairs of the organization are conducted on a responsible basis in accordance with established policies. Ensure that assets and facilities of the organization are maintained and safeguarded.
- Review/monitor/assess a specific program, serve as an advocate for the organization, as requested, to the community it serves, serve as a liaison with relevant constituencies, provide feedback to the organization from the community, provide technical expertise, offer an independent/unbiased sounding board, and assist staff in determining important activities.
- Membership on a Committee (Programs, Fundraising/Development, and others as needed) is required to become part of the Advisory Board.
- Consult with Board Committee members, staff, or the Board as appropriate.
- Committee meetings take place 1-2 times a month, virtually currently.
- Comply with the confidentiality policy set forth and shall sign a confidentiality agreement upon joining the Advisory Board.
- Contribute knowledge, express points of view based on experience and take initiative.
- Consider other points of view, make constructive suggestions and help the Committee make group decisions reflecting the thinking of the total group.
- Members will consider RBB a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that RBB can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, RBB expects to have 100% of Board Members make an annual contribution of $1,000 (give or raise).
- Assume leadership in organization agency funding efforts, when possible.
- Be informed about the organizations programs, policies and services, as well as the needs of the community, society, and constituents.
TERM OF OFFICE: This position is for a term of one (1) year. RBB’s Advisory Board Members must continue to meet attendance, monetary, and participation requirements. The time commitment for individual Advisory Council Member duties is estimated at 1-5 hours a month, depending on the time of year. The frequency of committee meetings will vary. Service on RBB’s Advisory Board is without remuneration, except for reimbursement for administrative support costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
QUALIFICATIONS: This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about RBB’s mission. Selected Advisory Council members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members. Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. A commitment to and understanding of RBB’s beneficiaries, preferably based on education and/or experience. Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals. Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of RBB’s beneficiaries.
- Business Development & Fundraising
- Grant Writing & Research Knowledge
- Community Engagement
- Resource Development/Management
Description: In our work with girls, RBB aim is nothing less than empowerment. RBB defines an empowered girl as someone who knows her strengths and capabilities, isn’t afraid to embrace them, an active learner in school, a confident actor in her family and community, and ready to take on her biggest dreams. She believes in herself, knows her possibilities are endless, and lives in a community where she is treated equally, where parents, peers, and role models support her growth and her goals. Our programs are designed to not only provide girls with life and social skills, but a chance to learn valuable knowledge, develop strategies for overcoming challenges, to know their strengths and weaknesses, a factor that empowers them to break out of their comfort zone, learn the confidence to ask for help and improve their performance and maximize their potential, a combination that enables them to become the person that they wish to be. Our program’s focus areas include:
- Life & Social Skills Training
- Etiquette Training
- Academic Success and Career Development
- Business & Leadership Development
- Body Image
- Esteem & Confidence
- Bully Prevention & Friendship
The focus of our programs is to identify and address the issues girls face during their formative years by not only empowering them but ensuring that each girl has greater self-esteem, confidence, the ability to excel academically, and engage with their peers and in their communities. We believe that we will be influential in reversing the statistics that apply to our girls, uplifting one butterfly at a time.
This is an excellent volunteer opportunity for anyone interested in contributing to a cause while developing leadership skills, gaining board member experience, and building relationships.