Specialist, Communications & Public Relations
- Experience Level
TITLE: Specialist, Communications & Public Relations
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Director, Public Relations & Communications
The Communications & Public Relations Specialist works collaboratively with their direct supervisor and other stakeholders as ACR develops, executes, and measures communication & public relation initiatives including our public awareness program, Simple Tasks. The ideal candidate must be a creative thinker who brings proven experience working on a variety of complex project deliverables, executing a variety of public relations/communications tactics, creating content for a variety of communications mediums with different target audiences, and that excels at identifying and pitching compelling news story opportunities.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Execute a variety of communications strategies and tactics for a multi-faceted public awareness campaign including (but not limited to): editorials, feature stories, videos, collateral pieces, surveys, media outreach, digital and print advertisements, and satellite media tours
- Write, edit, and proofread content such as key messages, campaign materials, blogs, video scripts, testimonials, press releases, media pitches, and website copy
- Coordinate the design of campaign graphics and materials with multiple vendors to ensure deliverables are completed on the provided schedule and with cohesive messaging
- Conduct post-campaign measurement, analysis, and reporting; and develop recommendations to improve campaign outcomes
- Support ACR’s public relations activities by completing external media requests for journalists in need of rheumatology experts for articles that do not require an official comment from ACR leadership by connecting them with one of ACR’s independent experts on call.
- Administer proactive media relations campaigns for ACR departments and initiatives as needed
- Manage the Public Relations email inbox by responding to incoming inquiries from members, patients, and other external stakeholders in need of assistance
- Plan, implement and evaluate social media activities for the Simple Tasks profiles (i.e., developing a monthly editorial calendar, curating, and scheduling content, leveraging new social features to increase engagement, monitoring online conversations, and interacting with online audiences) to grow and activate the campaign’s online community
- Serves as staff liaison to ACR’s Marketing and Communications Committee in annual communications audits of the ACR’s patient education library to ensure all materials are up-to-date, and work with volunteer leaders to develop new resources as needed (i.e., fact sheets, one-pagers, whiteboard videos, etc.)
- Develop bi-monthly content for Simple Tasks blog and coordinate distribution of e-newsletters.
- Manage the in-person and virtual exhibit hall presence of ACR’s patient resources and Simple Tasks campaign at the ACR’s Annual Meeting (includes providing white glove customer service at the Patient Resources exhibit, identifying opportunities to promote resources in meeting publications and drafting appropriate content, and preparing/shipping necessary booth items)
- Manage the acquisition, distribution and tracking of promotional/collateral items to support ACR’s awareness and event exhibition
- Introduce innovative ideas, approaches and solutions to activate and grow the Simple Tasks patient community and create engaging touch points.
- Provide communications support to other ACR projects and initiatives as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism, English, or a related field
- Minimum 3 years related experience in a communications department or agency
- Project management skills and ability to adapt to unexpected changes and opportunities in a fast-paced environment are a must
- Strong writing/proofreading skills with attention to detail and knowledge of AP style
- Familiarity with media distribution and reporting tools such as Meltwater, EurekAlert, Newswise preferred
- Must be able/willing to learn a variety of technology platforms and integrate them into your daily workflow
- Experience with Sprout Social, Hootsuite, or an equivalent social media content management tool and measuring, tracking, and improving social media metrics
- Ability to understand and summarize complex ideas and materials for general readers, editors, and reporters
- Healthcare or public health experience highly desirable
- Bilingual in Spanish a bonus
The ACR provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The ACR complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities or conducts business.
This is not a contract. The description and duties as they relate to this position are subject to change as reasonable business necessity dictates. In the event of such changes, a new job description may be created.