Special Assistant to the CEO
- Experience Level
Position Title: Special Assistant to the CEO (“SA”)
Reports To: President & CEO and the Chief of Staff
Work Location: 425 West 47th Street, New York, New York 10036
Employment Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
For more than 70 years, Fountain House has successfully addressed the devastating impact of mental illness on individuals, families, and communities through its pioneering clubhouse model, which provides a structured, therapeutic social community and the tools to break the bonds of social isolation faced by people living with mental illness, while also addressing their basic health and social needs such as access to healthcare, housing, employment, education, nutrition, and safety. Fountain House accomplishes this by working in partnership with its members – people living with mental illness – and putting them at the center of their own recovery.
Fountain House is the most widely replicated evidence-based model for people living with mental illness in the world with over 300 model programs serving over 100,000 people throughout the US and in more than 30 countries.
We are working for a world where no one is powerless, where health for all is not just an aspiration but a reality, and where creating change is a part of everyday life. We are just getting started and hope you will join us.
The Special Assistant to the President & CEO (SA) will be part of a three-person executive office, all reporting to the President & CEO (“CEO”). The SA will provide direct support to the CEO, Chief of Staff (“CoS”), and Executive Assistant to the CEO (“EA”), with a principal focus on research, writing, and preparatory materials for the CEO. The SA will work directly on priority projects and on-demand needs of the CEO, as well as broader projects that accelerate growth within Fountain House and that are aligned with strategic initiatives. The SA must possess a proactive and positive attitude, a thorough understanding of discretion and poise under pressure. The SA must be a strong writer, have skills with presentation and other design, and have experience with background and investigatory research to inform these products. Academic research training, at the undergraduate or graduate levels, is a plus. They must be a highly motivated self-starter, able to work quickly and efficiently. They are able to ask the right questions to clarify tasks, unafraid to get the clarity they need in order to execute.
The SA will also contribute to ongoing projects for Fountain House and will be responsible for conducting a variety of research, analysis, and follow-up. The fast-paced and multi-dimensional nature of this role requires an exceptionally well-organized, proactive professional who can interact effectively and collaborate with department staff, members of Fountain House executive leadership team and employees at all levels throughout the organization and external partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The main duties of the SA will be to provide direct support to CEO. Secondary responsibilities include: 1) General support to CoS, and 2) General support to EA.
- Research topics relating to CEO’s involvement in upcoming meetings, presentations and interviews.
- Prepare written materials, such as papers, bibliographies, topic summaries, memos, talking points and presentation slide decks for CEO and CoS edits.
- Assume other related responsibilities and special projects, as assigned.
- Track and report project statuses on a timely basis to CoS.
- Participate in key CEO and organizational meetings and conversations to give update on their work.
General Support to CoS
- Assist with meeting preparation including research, talking points and presentation buildout.
- Assist with writing projects, including preparation of initial drafts of papers.
- Outline notes and action items at essential meetings.
- Research various topics to create short briefs for senior leadership.
- Perform day-to-day administrative tasks such as maintaining information files and process paperwork.
- Assist with board of director duties including, preparing briefings and diligent board database management, as needed.
- Support the development and implementation of internal and external projects across multiple departments.
- Provide administrative support to CEO, as needed, by managing schedules and communications projects (backfill position for EA, when out).
Required Knowledge, Skills and Responsibilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent analytic and written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptionally organized with an attention to details to facilitate team processes.
- Excellent computer proficiency (MS Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Ability to analyze and distill complex information.
- Analytical thinking using logic to address work-related issues and problem.
- Ability to understand the big picture and align priorities accordingly.
- Working knowledge of Asana preferred.
- Maintain neat, orderly project files.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently and to conduct assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
Required and Preferred Education, Experience and Credentials:
- Must possess current and valid U.S. work authorization and be eligible to work for any U.S. employer without sponsorship.
- Undergraduate degree or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Recent Master’s degree candidate or graduate (MPH, MPA, MBA, MA, etc.) or higher degree, is a plus.
- Relevant work experience in non-profit, academia, health care, or operations is a plus.
- Excellent writing/research ability; previous publications as primary or co-author are a plus.
- Ability to perform the essential job functions consistently, safely and successfully with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state, and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state, and local standards.
Fountain House, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We especially encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. We actively work to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team, and we want to hear from you. Remember, no one comes with the entire complement of skills, and no one is the perfect candidate, so do not let a lack of experience/ skill in one specific area deter you from applying.
Fountain House is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
At this time Fountain House, Inc. is not able to sponsor visas.
Note: This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not to be construed as a contract for employment.