Director of Human Resources
- Position Type
- Full Time
Director of Human Resources
The Little Market
Los Angeles, CA
About The Little Market
The Little Market is a nonprofit fair trade shop featuring ethically sourced, artisan-made products. Our mission is anchored in the fundamental belief that every person has the right to dignified, safe jobs and fair, living wages. We seek to empower artisans around the world by extending their products’ distribution and supporting sustainable income opportunities. Each piece is made following fair trade principles, ultimately contributing to a life-changing sustainable income and giving back to the people who made it.
The Little Market (TLM) is committed to upholding the dignity of artisans, celebrating their cultural techniques and traditions, and bringing attention to social justice and human rights issues faced by their communities. TLM ethically sources from artisan groups and social enterprises in underserved communities including refugees and resettled individuals, people with disabilities, young mothers, survivors of sex trafficking, and individuals living in extreme poverty. These organizations improve the quality of life in their communities in a number of ways including literacy workshops, business training, counseling, and healthcare programs.
Founded in 2013, TLM has grown to a staff of 35 with a robust e-commerce platform as well as a brick and mortar presence in Los Angeles. For more information on TLM, please visit www.thelittlemarket.com/.
Our team is seeking a Director of Human Resources to oversee all aspects of the HR and organizational development functions, providing strategic leadership in response to HR needs throughout the organization. Part of the leadership team, the Director of Human Resources will report to the Executive Director and work in collaboration with senior leadership, creating effective policies, procedures, and systems that will support staff in all areas of the organization. A passionate and values-driven leader, the Director of HR will play a central role in supporting TLM's team to deliver on their mission to source and sell ethically made products by artisan women from around the world.
Among their core responsibilities, the Director of Human Resources will:
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Foster a sense of belonging, engagement, and excellence across all departments and teams, empowering employees to take initiative, provide feedback, and achieve goals
- Lead company-wide programs and practices that celebrate every team member and encompass team values of compassion, diversity, education, empathy, empowerment, integrity, mission-focus, passion, and well-being
- Serve as a resource and partner to all employees
- Manage employee recruitment and retention activities and processes, including the creation of job descriptions; candidate recruitment, screening, and offer negotiations; conducting new hire orientations; developing ongoing training activities; and overseeing the implementation of effective performance evaluations
- Manage and oversee the day-to-day administrative functions, implementing appropriate HR systems; leverage technology to support efficient and effective management of HR information and data
- Conduct period benchmarking to ensure pay equity and align with market trends
- Advise leadership on staffing, policies, benefits, and training questions; counsel and coach managers on employee relations and job performance issues
- Ensure The Little Market offers a generous and appropriate set of benefits that value the needs of their employees; lead the selection of benefits carriers, brokers, and policies; conduct benefits orientation and training for employees; oversee the administration of all health and fringe benefits; serve as the primary contact with external benefits providers
- Ensure up-to-date and complete HR files through periodic internal quality management reviews
As the incoming Director of Human Resources, you will demonstrate many, though perhaps not all, of the following professional and personal experiences, skills, and characteristics:
- You bring at least five years of experience in human resources, with the ability to draw on experience and knowledge across many facets of the function, including employee recruitment and retention, performance management and professional development, benefits, employment law, and HRIS management. Previous experience in a retail or e-commerce setting is considered highly beneficial.
- You have demonstrated success in developing, implementing, and continuously evaluating human resources policies and systems that support the mission and values of the organization and adhere with all relevant legal and regulatory requirements.
- You are effective and comfortable in roles that require both strategic thinking and project management, as well as tactical implementation.
- You are experienced in building strong professional relationships, demonstrating excellent interpersonal skills, sound professional judgment, and high levels of integrity and accountability.
- You possess strong communication and computer skills, ideally with experience implementing and/or administering effective HRIS.
- You value relationships and bring a high degree of emotional intelligence to all of your interactions.
- You are comfortable working independently in a fast-paced environment and can prioritize and multi-task comfortably.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Cassie Scarano and Ariella Pasackow of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The Little Market seeks to build a team that reflects the diversity we celebrate in our community, nationally, and internationally. We welcome and encourage all qualified applicants who share our vision, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our work and this mission. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position, and we do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com