Customer Service Manager
- Position Type
- Full Time
The International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) is a non-profit membership organization that serves the needs of tree care professionals, and promotes the profession of arboriculture around the world. ISA is known as the industry authority on research, education and professional development. Each role in the organization plays an important part in delivering excellent member benefits and customer service.
This role is charged with the oversight and leadership of the customer service team. This manager serves as a champion for excellent customer service within the department and the organization, focusing on process improvement to better serve and meet the needs of our members, credential holders, customers and partners. This manager currently oversees a third party customer service team; however, will lead the future transition of this team (in part or in its entirety) to a team of internal employees. Takes the lead in documentation of processes and procedures within the department. Provides coaching, development, and decision-making support to the customer service team. Takes an active role in contributing to the team’s daily tasks and handles any escalated customer service requests.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Understand ISA’s Mission and adheres to organization and staff core values
- Develops strategies and resources to provide customer relations team members with adequate information to address customer inquiries regarding ISA products, programs, and events; Manages and coaches staff. Administers or coordinates training for individuals and/or the entire team based on identified needs. Oversees the development and maintenance of job aids that support delivery of superior levels of customer service.
- Ensures that members receive selected benefits.
- Ensures that the customer service team is actively identifying the needs of customers and offering the appropriate products based on those needs. Ensures the team is well versed on the benefits and features of all programs, memberships, and products that ISA offers, and is able to upsell when appropriate.
- Provides assistance in troubleshooting complex customer inquiries and issues; Serves as the ultimate internal checkpoint for issue resolution before a situation is escalated to a departmental director for further investigation and response.
- Coordinates with other departments to manage the technical and physical resources needed to support operations of the Customer Service Center (CSC).
- Develops and maintains systems for measuring and monitoring customer satisfaction levels. Develops and provides regular reports on customer service and sales data/trends to director and internal stakeholders.
- Trains all new Customer Service Specialists, using consistent departmental training strategy.
- Proactively interacts with other department managers to stay abreast of responsibilities, programs, services, trends, etc.
- Stays abreast of fluctuation in cyclical timing of CSC job responsibilities and recommends alternate staffing arrangements or options to accomplish job duties.
- Serves as a back-up in performing daily tasks and duties of the Customer Service Center.
- Manage documentation of CSC processes and procedures; Ensures that all departmental and organizational policies and procedures are being followed.
- Ensures communication of organizational messaging and talking points to external customer service team members and internal team members.
- Acts as conduit to daylight pervasive issues encountered by members, credential holders, partners and customers to the appropriate departmental heads.
- Handles fraudulent purchase investigation, library subscription purchases, return processing and other sensitive items for processing.
- Manages and sends invoice mailings and other large electronic mailings.
Yes; currently responsible for oversight of third party customer service team.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include interviewing, and onboarding new hires; planning, assigning, and directing work; coaching and development of individuals and team; evaluating performance; providing recognition and rewards or corrective action counseling; resolving conflict.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Associates or Bachelor degree in business, office administration, marketing or a related field required unless offset by an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of three years of experience in a customer relations capacity required.
- Minimum of three to five years of experience in a lead or supervisory capacity preferred.
- Previous customer service experience in a membership or credentialing association is preferred.
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written. Fluency in additional languages is a plus.
- Ability to develop and articulate project plans both orally and in writing.
- Ability to write correspondence and speak in a clear, concise and professional manner.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with internal and external customers.
Decision Making/Reasoning Ability
- Ability to listen and resolve problems with professionalism, diplomacy and tact.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, develop conclusions, and determine appropriate action plans.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and calculate percentages. These skills will be applied to communicate pricing, reconcile daily orders, handle currency exchange rates, calculate sales tax, and performing a variety of manual adjustments.
- Strong organizational skills to handle multiple inquiries, tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Detail oriented with a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to work and lead in a team-based environment.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 80% of the time.
- Moves about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Regularly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery such as calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Frequently communicates with internal and external customers.
- This position requires occasional lifting, under 25 lbs.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- Will require occasional travel.
Technology and Equipment
- Microsoft Windows 10 and Office 2013; intermediate to advanced proficiency in Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Ability to use database applications and understand the functionality of the system to recommend process improvements.
- Ability to use multiline phone system and understand the functionality of the system to recommend process improvements.
- Utilizes internet and other office equipment.
ISA is an equal opportunity employer. This position is located in Downtown Atlanta, GA and not normally eligible for remote work. Currently this position will be temporarily eligible for remote work due to the COVID-19 pandemic.