People and Culture Manager
- Position Type
- Full Time
We’re looking for a People and Culture Manager to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business in our Shared Services Area.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is awesome. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- This position is part of our Shared Services Area - composed of finance, operations, people, information technology, and facilities. We make sure M+R is set up to deliver outstanding services to clients such as Planned Parenthood, NRDC, and many more.
- Day-to-day, we focus on hiring, developing, and retaining smart, dedicated staff. We help cultivate high-functioning teams at M+R so that we work collaboratively, efficiently, and effectively, and we help foster a strong organizational culture that reflects and furthers M+R’s values.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Serve as a “People Partner” (similar to an HR Business Partner in other organizations) for one or more of M+R’s practice areas by:
- Managing the hiring and recruitment process for a select number of positions.
- Contributing to staff onboarding strategy and implementation.
- Providing support and coaching to supervisors on best practices and firm processes related to feedback, performance reviews, promotions, and discipline.
- Identifying training and professional development needs to ensure staff in your area have the knowledge they need to succeed.
- Facilitating the process that assigns staff to clients and manages your area’s capacity.
- Play the lead role in ONE of the following areas (when you apply, indicate which you are interested in):
- Hiring and Recruitment: Develop and help implement our firmwide hiring and recruitment strategies and processes, working closely with People Partners and other staff on individual searches.
- Culture and Teambuilding: Lead efforts that strengthen an inclusive, values-driven organizational culture by managing initiatives such as firmwide team building, meetings, and internal communications as well as offsite retreats.
- Performance Management: Manage our formal review, promotion, and discipline processes and ensure high quality supervision through coaching communications, materials development, and training.
- Champion a culture of equity and inclusion, and center all your work to focus on how M+R can retain its brilliant, dedicated staff.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly - including carefully tracking all of your hours as well as pitching in with small office management tasks.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 5-9 years of People/HR experience, including a proven track record in at least one of the following:
- Successfully recruiting and hiring qualified employees;
- Developing and implementing processes, systems, and tools that create and sustain a positive organizational culture; and/or
- Designing performance expectations, managing a structured 360-feedback-based review process, and coaching supervisors.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff or interns.
- Demonstrated ability to craft meeting agendas to identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
- Ability to communicate persuasively in a way that articulates your ideas and conveys your expertise, whether on the phone, in-person, or in writing.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Drive to work collaboratively - soliciting ideas, seeing each other's perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience working in organizations that prioritize employee growth and advancement.
- Experience working in an agency setting or consulting firm.
- Experience with Lever, Trakstar, Slack, Culture Amp, and/or Asana.
Salary, benefits, and some perks:
This is an exempt status position. The salary range for this position is $72,000-$95,000, with eligibility for an approximate $6,600-$8,200 year-end bonus depending on start date and firmwide performance. Exact salary is dependent on experience. We also offer a generous benefits package, plus some perks:
- Three week’s vacation as well as paid sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with quarterly employer contributions and an employer match;
- Professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- Regular brainstorms where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of benefits depending on which office you’re in (once we're back open!). Free lunch once a week. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap. Records and record players.
- While our physical offices are closed, we offer reimbursements for cell phones and internet, plus a small monthly working from home stipend to make your work-at-home life a bit more comfortable.
The fine print:
Due to COVID, our offices are closed through at least June 2021. Our primary concern is the care and health of our employees. We are closely monitoring the situation and have yet to determine when our offices will reopen. This position is not a permanent remote role and under normal circumstances, is located in any one of the following offices full-time:
1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
11 Park Place, New York, NY
262 Washington St, Boston, MA
1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
1275 East 6th St, Los Angeles, CA
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.