7 days left
- Experience Level
Waterkeeper Alliance, an international environmental organization, seeks a dynamic, goal-oriented professional to strengthen and amplify the voice of Waterkeeper Alliance and the Waterkeeper movement through hard-hitting written communications.
Location: New York, NY, with some travel required. Temporarily remote due to COVID-19.
Organizational Overview: Waterkeeper Alliance is a global environmental movement uniting more than 350 Waterkeeper groups around the world and focusing citizen action on the issues that affect our waterways, from pollution to climate change. Waterkeeper groups patrol over 2.75 million square miles of rivers, streams, and coastlines in the Americas, Europe, Australia, Asia, and Africa. For more information, please visit our website at waterkeeper.org.
The Staff Writer is a dynamic, goal-oriented professional within the Communications and Marketing Department that works to strengthen and amplify the voice of Waterkeeper groups around the world through written communications, advocacy, and fundraising. The Staff Writer reports directly to the Communications and Marketing Director.
The Staff Writer is responsible for researching, developing, and publishing stories on the global water crisis in support of Waterkeeper Alliance's fundraising and advocacy communications. Working with local Waterkeeper groups, lawyers, and other colleagues, the Staff Writer will generate stories on topics such as environmental justice, political attacks on clean water, grassroots accomplishments, and more.
The Staff Writer will produce a wide variety of content across all channels, including materials for the Alliance’s website, magazine, email, and social channels, and will develop and edit talking points, press releases, speeches, and other communications materials.
- Conceptualize, write, and edit blogs, op-eds, articles, press releases, fundraising appeals, and other materials relating to Waterkeeper Alliance’s work and strategic initiatives;
- Keep abreast of new developments and potential stories by maintaining close relationships with Waterkeeper groups and Waterkeeper Alliance advocacy, fundraising, and program staff;
- Story research and fact-checking to support and strengthen written content;
- Assist in the production of Waterkeeper Magazine and the organization's annual report;
- Participate in the planning of advocacy and fundraising campaigns;
- Execute a work plan with performance metrics; and
- Engage in other duties assigned by the Communications and Marketing Director.
- At least 3-years of professional writing experience, preferably across a variety of storytelling disciplines, such as journalism, marketing, advocacy, and/or fundraising;
- A bachelor's degree, or equivalent work experience
- Ability to generate story ideas and develop narrative arcs across media that are clear, concise, engaging, and on-brand;
- Ability to take initiative and work efficiently to complete tasks independently and collaboratively;
- Ability to solve problems, work under pressure, and maintain quality of detailed work while meeting deadlines;
- Excellent multitasking skills, including an ability to work on multiple stories at a time;
- Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness and attention to detail;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Ability for occasional travel and weekend work;
- Passion for Waterkeeper Alliance’s mission; and
- A positive attitude and sense of humor.
Job type: Full-time
Culture & Benefits:
Our staff and Waterkeepers are the heart of our mission, and we are committed to pursuing the principles of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) as we move forward to a more equal and empowering future as an organization. We aim to create and sustain a workforce that reflects the hundreds of global communities we strive to protect in our fight for clean water, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply to join our team!
We offer a competitive industry salary, excellent benefits including 15 vacation days and paid parental leave, work from home opportunities, and a healthy work-life balance to all members of our team.
Start Date: ASAP. This position will remain open until filled.
Applications: Send resume, three (3) writing samples, and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line “Staff Writer.” No phone calls, please.
Waterkeeper Alliance is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.