Immigration Staff Attorney
1 day left
- Experience Level
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: The Asian Law Alliance (ALA) is a non-profit community law office that has provided legal services, community education and advocacy services since 1977 to the Asian and Pacific Islanders communities in Santa Clara County. Priority areas are immigration, housing, domestic violence, public benefits and civil rights.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Client Counseling and Representation: Conduct intake; provide representation in both affirmative and defensive immigration cases before USCIS, EOIR and the BIA.
Community Education: Organize and conduct presentations on various legal topics. Drafting and reviewing community education pamphlets.
Community Organizing/Advocacy: Advocacy work on community issues as required; networking with other service providers, organizations and government agencies to enhance services to the Asian and Pacific Islander communities.
Volunteer Training and Supervision: Train and supervise pro bono attorneys, students, and community members for ALA clinics and one-on-one assistance with casework
Supporting community outreach, volunteer recruitment and fundraising: Help strengthen the visibility of ALA by contributing content to promote effective outreach and service to the community
- Must be an active member in good standing of the State Bar. California Bar membership is preferred but not required
- Experience in immigration law, especially removal defense, is strongly preferred but not a requirement.
- Experience or willingness to be trained in litigation skills
- Must have a demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the needs of the low-income immigrant community
- Ability to work cooperatively with fellow staff and supervisors
- Bilingual skills in Asian Pacific Islander language or Spanish highly desirable
- Must be willing to work flexible hours including evenings and/or weekends
- California driver’s license and own vehicle required