- Experience Level
GJP is a 34-year-old non-profit located in Atlanta’s historic Old Fourth Ward neighborhood. Our work spans three areas: Holistic Criminal Defense, Advocacy and Education, and Reentry Lawyering. You can read more about our work at www.GJP.org. GJP is funded primarily through private donations and currently has 26 staff members including lawyers, social workers, legal assistants, and development and administrative staff.
GJP is currently hiring a Research Associate. This is a temporary, four-month position with the possibility of becoming a permanent position. Applications will be processed as they are submitted. *As an essential service provider, GJP remains open but with minimal staff in the building and safety procedures in place. This position could be entirely remote for the next four months, so we will consider applicants outside of Atlanta.
The Research Associate will assist the policy team and the legal team with several ongoing projects. GJP has successfully advocated for twenty changes to Georgia law over the last eight years that removed barriers to reentry, most recently leading the charge on SB 288, which goes into effect January 1, 2021. You can read more about SB 288 at https://www.secondchancegeorgia.org/. Going into the 2021 legislative session GJP is working on policy reform in several areas: probation reform; driver’s license reform, including minimizing suspension of licenses related to poverty; child support reform, particularly for those who are currently incarcerated; and continuing to expand access to expungement. You can read more here: https://www.gjp.org/advocacy/. GJP is also in the early stages of launching a new project to support the implementation of restorative justice programs and principles in several jurisdictions in Georgia. The Research Associate will work with GJP’s legal team to summarize research around diversionary restorative justice programs that serve adults around the country, draft an implementation plan, and put together trainings and materials to support this initiative.
The ideal candidate will have
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to write for a variety of audiences including attorneys, legislators, and the public
- Experience using LexisNexis
- Experience comparing statutes across multiple states and summarizing legislative reforms and reform strategies in other states
- Experience reviewing and summarizing academic research
- Experience with PowerPoint and developing presentations
- An understanding of diversion programs and/or restorative justice principles
- A desire to work collaboratively with the legal and policy teams to keep multiple projects and goals moving forward simultaneously
- Juris Doctor, Master in Public Policy, or a B.A./B.S. with two years of legal or academic research experience
- A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice and an understanding of how poverty and race factor into the criminal legal system
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written communication and research skills
- Enthusiasm and energy for the difficult work of reforming the criminal legal system
- The ability to effectively manage the multiple priorities and fast pace of a non-profit workplace
- Pay is commensurate with experience and qualifications
- This is a 25-35 hour per week position
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and writing samples combined in a single PDF to Jyotsna Vanapalli at firstname.lastname@example.org Include “Research Associate” in the subject line of the email. Ideally candidates would submit a legal research writing sample and a non-legal writing sample if you have it (no more than 10 combined pages for the writing samples, so an excerpt is fine). No calls, please.
Georgia Justice Project is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse staff and an inclusive organization. We welcome qualified applicants of all races, colors, religions, national origins, sexes, gender identities, sexual orientations, and disability statuses. GJP encourages people who are formerly incarcerated or justice-involved to apply.
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Crime / Legal-related Temporary / Seasonal jobs in Atlanta
- Legal Crime / Legal-related Temporary / Seasonal jobs in Atlanta
- Public Policy / Administration Crime / Legal-related Temporary / Seasonal jobs in Atlanta
- Research Crime / Legal-related Temporary / Seasonal jobs in Atlanta