AmeriCorps VISTA Positions with YELLS
AmeriCorps VISTA Positions with YELLS (Youth Empowerment through Learning, Leading, and Serving, Inc.)
YELLS is seeking three AmeriCorps VISTA Members to serve in the following positions:
- YELLS Volunteer Engagement Specialist VISTA
- YELLS Marketing and Community Engagement Specialist VISTA (Bilingual Preferred)
- YELLS Fundraising Specialist VISTA
The mission of Youth Empowerment through Learning, Leading, and Serving, Inc. (YELLS) is to empower youth to rise as active, healthy, and productive servant leaders within their community. We envision communities where youth have voice and value and ensure they possess the confidence, character, and collaborative networks needed to shape their world. YELLS serves the children and families of Franklin Gateway, a neighborhood in Marietta, Georgia, within 12 miles of the city of Atlanta. Our diverse community is composed of hard-working families facing generational and situational poverty.
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America) is a unique opportunity to become a part of national service and build a network of movers and shakers committed to fighting poverty at a grassroots level. The goal of this VISTA project is to help ensure the youth and families of the Franklin Gateway community have the education and skills necessary to act as servant leaders who develop community-driven solutions for alleviating poverty. The YELLS AmeriCorps VISTA Project will build capacity for the success of all YELLS initiatives, including the YELLS Mentoring Program, YELLS Afterschool Program, YELLS Community Action Café, and YELLS Community Garden
- Strong writing skills for partner communication and crafting of request letters
- Dynamic communication, public speaking, and relationship-building skills
- Advanced computer skills (Excel formulas, graphics, social media, expertise in MS Office Suite, WordPress)
- Self-direction, motivation, and ability to manage projects independently, staying organized to meet deadlines
- Reliable transportation and flexible schedule with ability to attend evening and weekend events
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- Enthusiastic, dynamic personality that inspires and motivates engagement
- A heart for children and desire to give to and grow with a community
- Bilingual – fluency in both English and Spanish, a plus
Commitment: 40 hours/week (core hours are 10:00 am – 7:00 pm, but this varies based on special events and projects); VISTA members must fulfill a year-long commitment beginning in 2021.
Compensation: Living allowance of $12,312 per year plus an education award of $5,920. VISTA is much like a year of service, and offers the opportunity for meaningful impact and personal growth.
Location: Marietta, Georgia (30067) – less than 12 miles from the city of Atlanta
Apply Now: Interviews are currently in progress. Positions to be filled immediately. To apply, please send resume and cover letter promptly to Laura Keefe, YELLS Executive Director, at jobs@YELLSinc.org.
All final candidates must also submit an application through the AmeriCorps VISTA national service website. For more information about AmeriCorps VISTA, visit: http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-vista.
YELLS Volunteer Engagement Specialist VISTA: The YELLS Volunteer Engagement Specialist VISTA will develop a sustainable volunteer and partner recruitment and management system for YELLS programs.
- Recruit and manage volunteers for all program needs (mentoring youth, tutoring, leading activities, cleaning space, maintaining community garden, serving at events, etc.)
- Request and secure in-kind donations and resources to meet programmatic needs.
- Retain committed and invested volunteers by strengthening the structures YELLS uses to orient, support, manage, and appreciate volunteers.
- Build a culture that values and appreciates volunteers
- Develop volunteer training materials and implement a new orientation workshop
- Strengthen current and build new relationships with local universities to recruit volunteers, interns, and Federal Work Study students.
- Develop new partnerships with civic organizations, churches, fraternities, sororities, etc.
- Manage social/digital media to recruit volunteers
- Engage within programs to manage volunteers and increase ability to effectively communicate program needs to potential volunteers
YELLS Marketing and Community Engagement Specialist VISTA: The YELLS Marketing and Community Engagement Specialist VISTA will build strong relationships and develop a sustainable marketing and engagement plan to reach and mobilize the entire Franklin Gateway community. Our dense community is home to over 8,000 residents living in 7 apartment complexes along a 2-mile stretch of road. This presents the unique opportunity to wrap your arms around our community and make a deep, sustainable impact. Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
1. Build strong relationships to nurture individuals’ connection to the “YELLS Family”
2. Strengthen outreach to teens, parents, and families on Franklin Gateway
- Develop and implement a marketing plan to fully saturate the Franklin Gateway community and create systems for continued communication.
- Implement creative promotional strategies to reach new audiences within the Franklin Gateway community.
- Build relationships with Franklin Gateway apartment complexes and businesses to facilitate outreach and connections with community members
3. Create a sorted database of contacts for use in communication
4. Create content for a regular email newsletter
5. Manage social/digital media to reach Franklin Gateway community
6. Develop and train a YELLS Parent Leadership Team
7. Open our center for community resources and use during non-program hours
YELLS Fundraising Specialist VISTA: The Fundraising Specialist VISTA will develop and grow our donor base and capture data to best communicate our impact and success stories.
- Cultivate and celebrate an engaged pool of donors and develop a database to track their relationship with YELLS
- Raise at least $10,000 in cash donations from individuals and corporations
- Research funding opportunities and submit grant applications
- Manage the Georgia Gives Day campaign and empower staff and volunteers with the tools and motivation to engage their networks in the campaign
- Create an annual report to showcase program achievements and impact to funders and supporters
- Develop and implement program evaluations and collect and analyze data to track participant growth and achievement to highlight in annual report
- Manage social/digital media to engage, appreciate, and showcase impact to funders and supporters
- Engage in participant observation and reflection within programs to increase ability to effectively communicate program offerings and impact to potential funders