Senior Operations Director
- Willingness to Travel
- up to 25%
The Alliance for Youth Action (along with our sister 501c3 organization the Alliance for Youth Organizing) is searching for a Senior Operations Director who will head the Alliance’s Operations Department and work alongside the Senior Finance Director to both develop and maintain well functioning internal systems. The Senior Operations Director will also support and train staff at Alliance network organizations on the mechanics of nonprofit operations, including personnel, administration, compliance, and financial management. This is a full-time position based in our Washington, DC office, leading the Operations Department, and reporting to the Deputy Executive Director of Organizational Strategy.
- Internal Operations | Lead the Operations Department and manage the Operations Manager.
- Improve and implement organization wide systems to increase efficiency of internal communication and project management.
- Oversee coordination of organization-wide activities, including meetings and special events.
- Create and manage RFP processes, and manage vendor/consultant contract review, execution, and record keeping.
- Work with the Senior Finance Director to manage network grant planning, documentation, and reporting.
- Oversee human resources, including policy development and implementation; manage employee professional development opportunities.
- Oversee administration, including insurance policies and compliance with applicable local and federal regulations.
- Support staff utilization of tech equipment and software, and manage the relationship with IT vendors.
- Manage the office and lease, including the search for new office space in 2022.
- Network Operations Training & Support | Train network staff to build and maintain operational strength.
- Work with network organizations to identify operational challenges and create lasting solutions.
- Support network organizations with operations recruiting, hiring, and onboarding of operations staff.
- Identify group training opportunities; plan and lead trainings in a group setting and create resources and templates to share best practices with the network.
- Manage the network professional services database to connect organizations with experts and consultants to further professionalize their work.
- Coordinate with other Alliance departments to ensure alignment on operational and programmatic priorities for network organizations.
- Work with the Finance Department to oversee the fiscal sponsorship program.
KEY QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Nonprofit Operations Leadership
- Financial management and reporting.
- Human Resources, including experience working with payroll systems, benefits, policy development, hiring, onboarding, and offboarding processes.
- Experience improving organizational systems and preparing departments to utilize them with rapidly shifting organizational demands.
- 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofit regulations and activities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, plan backwards, anticipate obstacles, troubleshoot, and make smart judgement calls as needed.
- Critical Thinking and Strategy
- A self-starter with a strong initiative who – beyond directing current systems – has the willingness to identify additional processes that could be streamlined and the skills to realize that vision.
- Willingness and excitement to think outside the box to ensure organizational values – especially those related to diversity, equity, and inclusion – are reflected in operations work.
- Know when to answer the question someone meant to ask rather than the one they did.
- Training & Management
- Enthusiasm for working with and training staff with varying skill levels in operations to set them up for success – we’re looking for someone who can celebrate current successes, see the places we can improve, and come up with specific ways to help make those changes happen.
- Commitment to the mission of the Alliance network.
- Experience working with nonprofits engaged in local grassroots organizing is a plus.
- Baseline Skills
- Proficiency in excel and/or google sheets.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and patience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Comfortability with technology and virtual communication systems, including zoom, google hangouts, etc.
- Compensation: $90,000 – $100,000 per year commensurate with experience.
- Benefits: The Alliance offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, 75% of premiums for employee dependents, employer retirement contributions (SEP IRA), life insurance, short and long term disability income protection insurance, cell phone reimbursement, WMATA transportation smartbenefits, professional development opportunities, the opportunity for 3 days of remote work per month, a generous paid time off policy, and up to 16 weeks of paid family and medical leave.
- Location: This is a full time position based out of the Alliance’s Washington, DC office. All positions are remote until further notice due to COVID-19. Remote work out of state is an option until employees are expected to return to the office. Moving reimbursements are offered to employees expected to move to Washington, DC for this position.
- Travel: Under non pandemic circumstances, domestic travel for this role may be up to 30% of this position. Must be willing to work periodically long, irregular hours and to travel as needed.
The Alliance for Youth Action is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.TO APPLY
Please fill out this form, and submit a single pdf document including the following:
- Two paragraphs or less explaining why you want this position and what makes you a strong candidate (please prioritize content over formality)
- Three references (we will reach out to you first before contacting them)
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
PRIORITY DEADLINE TO APPLY IS January 15th, 2021.