Climate Justice Policy Advocate
- Experience Level
The Climate Justice Policy Advocate (PA) works within EHC’s Climate Justice Campaign to advance policies and projects that reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions with a focus on low-income communities of color that are most impacted. The PA works with community leaders and other non-profits to identify key issues, community-driven solutions, and conduct policy advocacy to influence local and regional governments to reduce impacts in low-income communities of color in the San Diego region.
The PA will advocate and work with local and regional entities including the Metropolitan Transportation System, SANDAG, San Diego United Port District, Cities of San Diego and National City, CARB, and other regulatory bodies related to transportation justice, goods movement, air pollution, climate change, and public health. The PA is responsible for representing the interests of EHC members before decision-making authorities and ally groups to change or enforce public policies.
Working with Community Organizers and Leaders, the PA will coordinate EHC’s work in City Heights and work with residents to create a City Heights community development policies that improve health and well-being.
- Organize and advocate for the development and implementation of climate, land use, transportation, and community development policies that advance public and environmental health, equitable development, land use compatibility, affordable housing, climate, and transportation justice, and green job.
- Conduct issue research and policy advocacy activities regarding transportation climate change, air pollution, and related environmental justice issues affecting low-income communities of color.
- Understand local governmental systems and law, and effectively monitor and advocate with those entities.
- Develop written analyses, position papers, and correspondence;
- Conduct effective networking and ally development activities with individuals, groups, organizations, and governmental entities in the San Diego region;
- Work with community organizing efforts to ensure coordination;
- In collaboration with the ECH City Heights Community Organizer, develop an empowered and effective City Heights Community Action Team composed of EHC community leaders;
- Work with EHC team members to develop strategic plans for key projects and activities;
- Participate in and coordinate, as appropriate, local transportation and climate justice networks to secure policy outcomes to reduce air pollution, and climate emissions.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Three years of experience in grassroots organizing or policy work
- Two years of experience in transportation, climate, air pollution policy and regulation or other related fields
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of environmental justice
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical ability
- Reliable transportation method
- Ability work flexible hours
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, work under pressure, and maintain attention to detail
- Proficiency with computer programs including Microsoft Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
- Demonstration of the ability to be culturally competent in all respects