Mayfair Coordinator - Political Education & Training
- Experience Level
We believe that everyone has something to contribute to our movement and that there is space for all of us to lead. SOMOS Mayfair’s Universidad Popular de Mayfair (UPM) is a community institute where we recognize, deepen, and share our leadership. Through the UPM, we offer learning spaces and tools to SOMOS members, staff and partner organizations where we sharpen our skills and deepen our analysis to carry out powerful organizing campaigns and community-led projects.
The Political Education & Training Coordinator will play a key role in carrying out the Universidad Popular de Mayfair. This position will co-design and facilitate skill-building and political education workshops on topics such as facilitation, outreach, campaign strategy and racial and economic justice. These can include interactive trainings, retreats, movie nights and dialogues. The Political Education & Training Coordinator will help coordinate community-building spaces for the SOMOS Collective. This position will work in close collaboration with all SOMOS program areas to ensure alignment and will also develop relationships with outside partners and facilitators.
Duties and Responsibility (approximate % of time & priority):
Curriculum design, facilitation and leadership development (65%)
- Develop and coordinate SOMOS’ Universidad Popular de Mayfair workshops (UPM), convenings, and special events for leaders, staff, Mayfair residents and partner organizations.
- Develop and coordinate organizing training for the Si Se Puede Collective.
- Develop and maintain UPM tools and popular education materials, including the political education library and the virtual toolbox.
- Support the development and alignment of curriculum that can be integrated into SOMOS’ different program areas.
- Work with a team of community leaders to facilitate political education workshops.
- Support the leadership development of team members.
- Oversee registration and outreach for the UPM.
- Develop governance and engagement strategies for the UPM.
- Oversee budgeting process with leaders and Promotores; monitor expenses
External Relationships & Regional Advocacy (5%)
- Establish productive working relationships and collaborations with community organizations, school districts, and other agencies to promote organizational mission.
- Participate in regional and statewide efforts to advance the efforts of Promotores and leaders working in neighborhoods like Mayfair.
- Represent SOMOS Mayfair at meetings with external partners.
Impact Evaluation (10%)
- Collect, organize and analyze data for the purposes of program evaluation and strategy-building.
- Carry out creative strategies to document and tell the story of our work.
- Conduct strategic evaluation of program area with support from Program Manager biannually.
- Conduct regular and consistent strategic planning with leaders and team members to ensure program effectiveness, deep and sustainable impact and continuous learning.
- Supervise the work of volunteer leaders, contractors and Program Assistants
Professional Development (5%)
- Create an annual development plan to strengthen skills and seek opportunities for on-going learning.
- Participate in organizational decision-making spaces and in regular internal political education.
- Contribute to the development of organizational worldview and development of strategic plan.
- Deep passion and commitment to advancing racial, economic and social justice and grassroots leadership in immigrant, working class communities
- Ability to build strong relationships with young children, youth and adults
- Experience applying popular education methodology in group facilitation and developing participatory workshops
- Experience in community organizing and/or community leadership development in working poor, immigrant communities
- Creativity, ability to adapt, manage ambiguity and be solution oriented. Desire to learn and experiment with different approaches.
- Desire to collaborate and co-create projects with others. Comfort with member-led strategy and delegating responsibilities to others.
- Ability to self-direct and take initiative in area of work. Strong time management skills.
- Bilingual/biliterate Spanish-English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel and Zoom and comfortable with e-mail communication
- Able to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends
- Valid California drivers license and proof of auto insurance
- Fingerprint and background check required
- Experience in community outreach and/or campaign strategy
- Experience supervising volunteers, leaders and/or staff
Location & Response to COVID-19
The Mayfair Coordinator position normally operates out of SOMOS office located in the Mayfair neighborhood of East San Jose. Due to circumstances caused by the novel coronavirus, the team at SOMOS is currently working remotely. Recognizing that this is a highly unusual and rapidly evolving situation, questions or concerns around location and work logistics will be openly addressed during the hiring process. Candidates should, however, expect to work on site at SOMOS office whenever it has been deemed safe to return to work by local/state governments.
Please apply by submitting a cover letter and resume via an e-mail provided with “Training Coordinator Application” in subject line
Somos Mayfair is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability and generic information or veteran status.
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Human Services $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Education / Teaching Human Services $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Program / Project Management Human Services $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Public Policy / Administration Human Services $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Research Human Services $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in San Jose