Mayfair Coordinator - Political Education & Organizing
- Experience Level
We stand by the belief that all human beings deserve a dignified place to live. We are exploring creative approaches to permanently affordable quality housing that is collectively controlled by community.
The Mayfair Political Education & Organizing Coordinator will play a key role in training and organizing for these alternative solutions, working in close collaboration with our Leadership Development and Community Organizing teams. This position will co-design and facilitate skill-building and political education workshops on topics such as collective governance, housing cooperatives, community land trusts and more for multi-generational community members. The Coordinator will work with other coordinators to advance the Mayfair Equity Platform and will coordinate the Jovenes Activos project. They will provide coordination across the Community Organizing team, Leadership Development team, other SOMOS Mayfair teams, and key partners.
Duties and Responsibilities (approximate % of time & priority):
Political education curriculum design, training, and leadership development (40%)
- Develop and coordinate participatory political education and skill-building workshops through SOMOS’ Mayfair Popular University for SOMOS leaders, promotores, and staff and other Mayfair residents and Si Se Puede Collective staff.
- Support the development and alignment of multi-lingual curriculum and tools.
- Support SOMOS’ Coordinators with the strategies, tools, and technical assistance to adapt and integrate topics into early learning programs, Family Resource Centers, school-based organizing committees and economic justice projects.
- Work with a team of community leaders to facilitate political education workshops.
- Create visuals, hand-outs, posters, videos and other popular education materials in Spanish and English.
- Collect, organize and analyze data for the purposes of program evaluation and strategy-building.
Neighborhood-based community engagement and organizing (35%)
- Lead the coordination of residents interested in alternative housing residents and Jovenes Activos programming
- Support leadership development and mutual aid with parents, youth and community residents, prioritizing the Mayfair neighborhood in order to advance leadership development and community organizing campaign.
- Develop and implement creative outreach and mobilization strategies for residents in specific areas of Mayfair who are interested in alternative housing solutions.
- Engage residents in community-driven planning processes.
- Develop concrete strategies and activities along with community to support the overall goals of the Mayfair Platform, alternative housing development, and our organizing campaigns.
- Meet individually and in groups with community leaders to provide constructive feedback and observation, as well as to assist with restorative processes and problem-solving as needed.
- Coordinate work with all Mayfair coordinators to align organizing strategies, platform, outreach, and strategic direction across all areas of work.
- Work with Program Managers & Directors to develop messages, social media strategies, decision-making structures, and power analysis.
External Relationships & Regional Advocacy (5%)
- Establish productive working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, organizations, local schools and agencies to ensure and promote the long-term organizational mission and goals.
- Participate in regional and statewide efforts to advance the efforts of promotores and leaders working in neighborhoods like Mayfair.
- Represent SOMOS Mayfair at meetings with external stakeholders and allies.
- Organize community and stakeholder analysis to uphold and reconcile different interests impacted by ongoing organizing activities, tactics, and goals.
- Support with external and regional campaign endorsements as need
Impact Evaluation (5%)
- Conduct strategic evaluation of program area with support from Program Manager biannually.
- Conduct regular and consistent strategic planning with leaders in program area as well as collectively in team to ensure program effectiveness, deep and sustainable impact and continuous learning.
- Utilize program evaluation tools to measure impact with group participants.
- Responsible for data reporting, grants, and narratives.
- Supervise the work of volunteer leaders, contractors and Program Assistants.
- Evaluating performance and providing feedback
Professional Development (5%)
- Create an annual professional development plan to develop or strengthen essential skills and seek opportunities for greater and on-going learning, including community organizing models and the practice of popular education pedagogy.
- Participate in agency wide decision-making arenas and in regular internal political education as needed
- Contribute to the development of organizational worldview and development of strategic plan.
- Deep passion and commitment to advancing racial, economic and social justice and grassroots leadership in immigrant, working class communities
- Ability to build strong relationships with young children, youth and adults
- Experience in community organizing and/or community leadership development in working poor, immigrant communities
- Experience applying popular education methodology in group facilitation and developing participatory workshops
- Experience in community outreach and engagement and excellent communication skills
- Ability to analyze racial and economic justice issues with an intersectional lens
- Creativity, ability to adapt, manage ambiguity and be solution oriented. Desire to learn and experiment with different approaches.
- Desire to collaborate and co-create projects with others. Comfort with member-led strategy and delegating responsibilities to others.
- Ability to self-direct and take initiative in area of work. Strong time management skills.
- Bilingual/biliterate Spanish-English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Zoom or web meeting platforms and comfortable with e-mail communication
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends
- Valid California driver’s license and proof of auto insurance
- Fingerprint and background check required
- Experience with collective decision-making models
- Experience with alternative housing models and/or interest in learning
Location & Response to COVID-19
The Mayfair Coordinator position normally operates out of SOMOS office located in the Mayfair neighborhood of East San Jose. Due to circumstances caused by the novel coronavirus, the team at SOMOS is currently working remotely. Recognizing that this is a highly unusual and rapidly evolving situation, questions or concerns around location and work logistics will be openly addressed during the hiring process. Candidates should, however, expect to work on site at SOMOS office whenever it has been deemed safe to return to work by local/state governments.
Please apply by submitting a cover letter and resume via an e-mail provided with “Mayfair Coordinator Application” in subject line.
Somos Mayfair is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability and generic information or veteran status.