Hispanic Initiative Counselor
- Experience Level
Reach for Excellence
Reach for Excellence empowers determined learners and expands their possibilities in the classroom, in the community, and in life.
The Hispanic Initiative Counselor is hired by Reach for Excellence, Inc. and reports to the Executive Director.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
This position is responsible for the support, mentoring, and education of ten first generation students and families regarding high school opportunities, available financial assistance and scholarships, and the value of a college degree. Through collaborating with Mercy Care Clinic, the counselor will ensure students and their families have access to free health and behavioral assessments to address acculturative stress and mental health issues.
- Assist in interviewing and recruiting up to ten Latino first generation students and their families.
- Plan bi/monthly meetings with the students and their families as they participate in Reach for Excellence and continue to college preparatory programs.
- Research and acquire supplemental educational resources and materials supporting the long-term value and earning power of a college education.
- Collaborate with Mercy Care to access free health and behavioral stress assessments to address acculturative stress and mental health issues.
- Access Pastoral Counseling through Mercy Care as needed.
- Assist with college preparatory program admission and financial aid application processes.
- Plan monthly meetings with student and families through high school.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Fluent in Spanish
- A four-year college degree.
- Excellent oral, written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated engagement in community or volunteer work.
- Highly organized approach to work with strong follow-through on tasks and goals.
- Demonstration of a positive attitude, showing concern for people and community and conveying presence, self-confidence, common sense, and good listening ability.
- Strong computer skills, in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint are preferred.
- A self-starter able to work independently, while also willing to seek counsel when needed.
- Ability to work cooperatively to achieve common goals; support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information while providing the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality, in all areas of responsibility.
- Ability to provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism and high achievement.
- Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Ability to listen carefully to, understand students and families’ needs, and proactively respond to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to touch, handle, or feel.
- The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is low to moderate. The hours for this part-time position are about 20 to no more than 30 hours per week. This is a year-round part-time staff position.
GENERAL SIGN OFF
The employee is expected to adhere to all employer policies and to act as a role model in the adherence to employer policies. The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.