- Experience Level
Position: Research Manager
Location: Washington, DC or New York, New York
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Reports to: Rapid Response Research and Communications Director
Launched in 2019, Accountable.US is a nonpartisan watchdog group exposing corruption across all levels of government. Accountable.US seeks a Research Manager to support its work to root out corruption and malfeasance. He or she will be responsible for providing research support and capacity to Accountable.US’s numerous projects.
The Research Manager will oversee a team that is serving as a de facto in-house research consultancy. This team will provide research support and capacity to Accountable.US’s numerous projects. This team will provide capacity to projects that currently do not have capacity to complete all their research tasks. Similarly, the team will be called on to complete research that does not neatly fit within any of Accountable.US’s current projects. The Research Manager will also work with senior leadership at the organization to help craft research strategy for specific projects.
The position is based in New York City, though research projects may include travel on occasion. Some weekend work may be required. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. A flexible personality, sense of humor, and positive attitude are important.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Manage discrete research projects and tasks for Accountable.US’s various projects. As part of this responsibility, the research manager will have vertical management responsibilities, including direct supervision of at least one researcher, as well as horizontal management responsibilities, including managing researchers from Accountable.US’s projects;
- Manage execution of public records research related to the discrete research projects, including submission of Freedom of Information Act requests (and state open records requests), and review of responsive records;
- Work with senior leadership of organization to define and determine research objectives and priorities that support campaign goals and strategies;
- Work with project directors and research directors at Accountable.US to ensure that research produced helps support their research and communications goals.
- Develop and execute both short and long-term research plans to support those campaign goals and strategies;
- Author and/or oversee preparation of detailed research reports/books and other products that have clear narrative arcs;
- Identify rapid response opportunities and craft rapid response products as needed;
- Oversee fact-checking of organizational work products; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- 5+ years experience managing research and crafting research strategy;
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role, particularly with overseeing staff and consultants;
- Ability and comfort with managing up;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines;
- Proven track record for being a self-starter;
- Knowledge of transparency and government relations and background in issue advocacy preferred;
- Experience working with research systems and structures;
- Exceptional communicator;
- Extremely well organized, detail-oriented and analytical; and
- Demonstrates an interest and ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Research Manager” in the subject line.
Accountable.US is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.