Director of Development
- Experience Level
The Development Director creates and oversees the implementation of a strategic approach to fundraising which may include, but is not limited to corporate and individual donations, special events, planned giving and in-kind resources. The Development Director identifies, cultivates, solicits, and stewards donors and prospective donors, and drives community engagement through creating and implementing a strategic approach to build ongoing, permanent relationships for the purpose of furthering the mission of liveSAFE Resources.
The Development Director works with the team to provide a coherent and comprehensive brand and communications strategy for all of the organization’s projects and programs. They also lead communications through e-newsletters, annual reports, social media and updates for website as needed to promote the mission, programs, services, fundraising activities, and special events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with the Executive Director, Development Coordinator and a Board Committee to create a comprehensive fund development plan which increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization.
- Implement the fund development plans and manage applicable budgets in accordance with ethical fundraising principles.
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities, including special events, to ensure effective fundraising and achievement of goals.
- Monitor trends in the community/region/country and adopt fundraising strategies as necessary.
- Identify and develop corporate, community and individual prospects for the organization’s fundraising priorities.
- Identify and research major gift prospects for the Executive Director and Board of Directors. Assist with cultivation and proposal development for these prospects.
- With the designated Board Committee, develop an annual campaign to target staff, volunteers, donors and prospects/community leaders.
- Establish a planned giving program.
- Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information.
- Oversee special events for liveSAFE Resources to include fundraising, recognition and cultivation. Monitor and evaluate events to ensure effective fundraising.
- Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising events and activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fundraising processes are carried out in a timely manner.
- Obtain new sponsors and increase attendance at all fundraising events.
- Attend all major annual fundraising events; this may require weekends and/or evening work.
- Lead committees and task forces of volunteers in the planning and execution of events and fundraising projects.
- Drive and execute donor cultivation and stewardship plans.
- Prepare regular reports on progress and related fundraising activities to the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization.
- Speak at various civic, corporate and neighborhood groups on behalf of liveSAFE Resources.
- Develop and implement an effective and comprehensive communications plan, including messages and themes for organizational campaigns, programs, and events in conjunction with the Executive Director, Development Coordinator, and marketing and fundraising committees.
- Manage all communications for liveSAFE Resources, including e-newsletters, annual reports, program flyers, fundraising/promotional materials, social media and website updates in conjunction with the Executive Director, Development Coordinator, and marketing and fundraising committees.
- Join and become involved in community/business groups to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization.
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Currently has strong relationships built with the leaders in our community.
- Ability to establish relationships with additional key stakeholders.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks and the coordination of a variety of events.
- Strong oral communication skills required to effectively communicate with a broad range of individuals.
- Strong written communications skills required to maintain quality documentation and effectively market liveSAFE Resources.
- Ability to prioritize all aspects of the job is a key to success.
- Ability to evaluate proposals, prepare budgets and evaluate strategically if our organization is a fit for the grantor.
- Strong problem solving skills required and must be a common sense thinker who can be a quick decision maker when necessary.
- Must display professionalism and leadership qualities when dealing with other organizations, volunteers, Board Members and staff.
- May be required to lift boxes up to 25 lbs.
MINIMUM CREDENTIALS AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in Non-Profit Management, Business Administration, Communications or related field. Five years of experience in development and communications preferred. A track record of proven and successful community engagement, marketing and fundraising necessary.