Community Relations Manager
- Experience Level
The Housing Authority is seeking its first Community Relations Manager. This new position will develop and manage the Agency’s community relations and communications programs and services, and will have the opportunity to perform meaningful and impactful work for an agency dedicated to providing affordable housing in the most impacted region of the nation. This position is ideal for candidates who thrive on identifying needs and opportunities, and building effective programs to address those needs from the ground up.
The Community Relations Manager is responsible for two primary functions:
- Plans, designs, and implements a wide range of community relations, communications, and media relations activities and services designed to create and maintain a favorable public image for the Housing Authority of the City of Alameda (AHA).
- Serves as the Agency Ombudsman to manage unresolved complaints and grievances from recipients of AHA services and members of the public.
Please see the job description for additional information.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in English, communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field. A Master’s degree (or equivalent) is strongly preferred.
- Plus four (4) years of professional communications or public relations experience in a public agency, government or nonprofit social services agency. Housing related experience is strongly preferred.
- Candidates must be able to design, implement and monitor an effective community relations and communications program, and build a program to effectively address unresolved complaints received by AHA.
- Ideal candidates will possess strong technical skills including proficiency in common business software and specialized software applications programs for production of print or digital media, along with top notch writing and presentation skills. Experience designing and maintaining websites is preferred, as is experience addressing complaints from customers or members of the public.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license by time of appointment and ability to meet the driving record requirements for coverage under agency’s auto liability policy is required.
- Proficiency in one of the Housing Authority’s LEP languages (Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese or Tagalog) is preferred but not required.
The Housing Authority provides an outstanding benefits package, including:
- Membership in CalPERS defined benefit retirement program, plus voluntary 457 and Roth IRA plans (no employer contribution)
- A variety of health insurance plans to choose from, with some plans fully paid for (regardless of the number of dependents) by employer contributions
- 3 weeks of vacation to start
- A schedule of 9-8 hour work days each pay period with every other Friday off
- The Community Relations Manager will routinely work on-site and telecommuting is not offered. This position requires 2-3 days in the office during the current health crisis.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION
Final Filing Date: Open Until Filled; Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately as the position may close at any time.
To apply, candidates must submit a fully completed and signed Housing Authority employment application, including responses to the supplemental questionnaire and a resume (documents must be in Word or pdf format, and uploaded into the online application form).
The AHA application form is located in the Working With Us>Employment Opportunities section of the Housing Authority’s website at www.alamedahsg.org. The full job description and supplemental questions are on the Open Positions page in Employment Opportunities.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY
If you need a reasonable accommodation under the American with Disabilities Act, please contact the Housing Authority office at firstname.lastname@example.org.