Director of Development
- Experience Level
Director of Development
Location: Literacy Action Office, Peachtree Center
Reports To: Executive Director
Direct Reports: 3-4
FLSA Status: Exempt
Team: Development, Communications
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Apply At: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Director of Development coordinates all fundraising efforts to drive Literacy Action goals and objectives, including donor cultivation and stewardship, grants administration, an annual giving campaign, and events management.
In addition to leading the Development team, the Director of Development will also coordinate and manage marketing and corporate communications. Responsible for the development of Literacy Action’s communication strategy and will contribute to Literacy Action’s strategic planning process. The Director will develop and oversee newsletters and other print publications; Web, E-news and other online communications; media and public relations; and marketing initiatives.
Fundraising Planning and Programing
- Works with the Literacy Action leadership and Board’s Resource Development Committee in creating an annual strategic funding plan and a long-range giving plan.
- Oversees a move management system with all donors.
- Manages a major gifts portfolio, a business giving portfolio, and a foundation giving portfolio. Cultivate, solicit, and close a pre-determined number of gifts.
- Plans and implements the annual individual giving campaign and administers a planned giving program.
- Develops and manages a departmental budget and resources to optimize efforts.
- Defines metrics and creates methods for tracking progress of all fundraising activities.
- Communicates relevant aspects of the Development Department to stakeholders.
- Research prospective donors’ and grantors’ interests and requirements to find alignment and opportunity for Literacy Action.
Donor Relationship and Stewardship
- Manages donor stewardship, from cultivation to acknowledgment, including preparing and editing correspondence and support materials, tracking gifts, and preparing reports for board meetings, funders, and the Executive Director.
- Prepares the Executive Director and other leadership team members to effectively cultivate, solicit, and close gifts from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Actively develops and supports the Board of Trustees in its fundraising.
- Create, implement, manage, and evaluate a year-round events portfolio, including a signature event.
- Oversees reporting to comply with partner institutions’ funding requirements.
Marketing and Communications
- Oversee development of all Literacy Action’s print communications including the annual report, marketing collateral materials and electronic communications including Literacy Action’s website and new media; manage relationships with associated vendors.
- Serve as a lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Literacy Action programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and staff development.
- Create and oversee the utilization of a Style Guide for the organization that addresses staff collateral, document creation, and internal/external communications.
- Collaborate with team members to determine student, volunteer, special event and trustee collateral needs.
Team Management and Development
- Provides day-to-day management and support to Literacy Action’s senior leadership team, who are responsible for academic program management, research and design, fundraising, marketing and communications, systems and financial management.
- Holds team accountable for conducting operations in a legal, ethical and transparent manner while complying with policies, laws, and regulations related to the organization.
- Recruits and actively develops the capability of staff to meet current and future staffing needs.
- Sets performance goals and provides on-going feedback, coaching, and development to enhance the team’s capability and to drive a culture of coaching and continuous improvement; reviews performance in a consistent, fair, and objective manner to facilitate open communication and to encourage continuous development and performance improvement.
- Provides the tools, resources, and training needed for team to effectively perform their roles.
Performs all other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study or 10 years of equivalent experience and/or education of comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
- 5+ years of experience in one or more of the following: nonprofit fundraising, marketing, event planning and/or public relations.
- Experience in the nonprofit sector, proven fundraising experience, and knowledge of the Atlanta philanthropic and business communities.
- Experience with Internet-based giving strategies.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Knowledge and ability to develop fundraising programs and events that drive positive donor and community relations.
- Ability to quickly build trust and partnerships across various stakeholder groups (e.g., including major donors, trustees, volunteers, staff, and students).
- Communication skills that create a positive impact and engagement (written, verbal, and presentations).
- Ability to develop and implement recommendations and plans to achieve organization, donor, and partnership goals.
- Project management and execution skills with the ability to effectively manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Decision-making skills that drive organizational success.
- Driven to continuously identify opportunities to improve the organization’s effectiveness.
- Proficiency in development database management (e.g., SalesForce) and Microsoft applications.
- Effective public speaking and presentation skills are essential.