Mental Health Counselor
- Degree Level
Mental Health Counselor
Job Location The Potter's House - Jefferson, GA
Position Type Full Time
Education Level Master's Degree
Travel % Negligible
Job Shift Day
Job Categories Nonprofit - Social Services
Do you feel called to serve in a Christian Ministry?
Do you want to serve where you make a difference in the lives of others?
Are you looking for a life-changing work experience?
If so, consider joining us at the Atlanta Mission, where we provide life transforming experiences for everyone that joins our team: employees, clients, donors, and volunteers. We serve over 1000 men, women, and children every day by providing food, shelter, clothing, counseling, vocational and spiritual guidance. We get to experience and witness radical life transformations.
As a Mental Health Counselor, you will serve within our ministry by providing counseling services based upon client's personalized service plan's goals and objectives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conducts clinical evaluation, screening, assessment, and recommends emotional services
- Manages initial and ongoing personalized service planning for emotional needs
- Facilitates therapeutic group sessions with clients and members of clients’ support system
- Provides 1013 recommendations and guidance during crisis intervention
- Consults during Crisis situations
- Facilitates classes for clients and their family members
- Collects, records, and analyzes documentation and referral sources while determining suitability for service needs
- Orients clients to the counseling process, guidelines, and expectations
- Inputs, tracks, and reports client outcome progression and client engagement data
- Ensures accuracy of client data
- Complies with established metrics
- Provides counseling services that include individual, group, and family
- Adheres to all laws and the Code of Ethics for counselors, which establishes standards for the relationship between clients/counselors
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Master’s degree (M.A. or M.S.) in counseling, Marriage and Family, or Clinical Social work or equivalent
- Eligible for Associate Professional Counselor (APC), Associate Marriage and Family Therapist (AMFT), or Master Social Worker (MSW) license and practice under supervision of a licensed professional with supervision credentialing
- Certified Professional Counseling Supervisor certification a plus
Skills & Abilities
- Strong desire to work in a Christian ministry and passion for serving those experiencing homelessness
- Listen without judgment to understand where each person is at and find Christ-centered ways to reach them and bring them along
- A servant leader who is eager to serve and help others
- Commit to serving others, leading others to make decisions and take actions based on biblical principles
- Model a consistent daily walk with Christ in words and actions
- Believe and affirm our Statement of Faith
- Ability to reach people from diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Proven ability to effectively teach/facilitate a class of adult learners
- Demonstrated track record of dealing with difficult and challenging people in a teaching, pastoral, ministerial, counseling or other related capacity
- Familiarity with a customer relationship management system – Salesforce preferred
- Crisis intervention skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Organization and time management skills
- Strong computer literacy using the Microsoft Office applications (excel, word, power point, outlook); experience working in a donor database, Salesforce experience preferred
Employer PAID benefits: Term Life and AD&D Insurance - Short-Term Disability - Travel Assistance Program - Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - Employee Advocacy Services -
Employer CONTRIBUTED Benefits: Medical and 403b Retirement Plan
Atlanta Mission transforms, through Christ, the lives of those facing homelessness. We are a community united to end homelessness . . . one friend at a time.
Atlanta Mission has been called by God to serve the city of Atlanta.
Since its 1938 beginnings, this Christian nonprofit ministry has grown from a small soup kitchen to a multi-facility organization serving Metro Atlanta's large homeless population. Today, Atlanta Mission provides emergency shelter, rehab and recovery services, vocational training, services, and transitional housing. We serve more than 1,000 homeless men, women, and children every day.
Atlanta Mission meets each person where they are, in their unique circumstances, to provide customized services to help them overcome the cause of their homelessness.
We believe that a relationship with Christ is the key to restoration, redemption, and sustainable change for everyone. We invest in the spiritual, personal, and professional development of people, restoring and equipping them to intentional living. We believe that in empowering and coaching people toward excellence, we impact the quality of all we do.
Various factors lead to homelessness job loss, eviction, family tragedy, addiction, domestic violence, a major health condition, and more. The common denominator is a major crack in their life foundation. Our programs are multi-pronged and multi-layered, designed to meet people where life has led them.