Harm Reduction Specialist
- Experience Level
HARM REDUCTION SPECIALIST
Atlanta/Fulton Pre-Arrest Diversion Initiative
The Atlanta/Fulton County Pre-Arrest Diversion (PAD) Initiative seeks a Harm Reduction Specialist who feels passionately about reducing the harms of substance misuse, unmet mental health needs, and poverty with individuals and communities. Harm Reduction Specialists are PAD’s “first responders” for individuals detained by police but offered an alternative to arrest, as well as for community referrals.
PAD Harm Reduction Specialists conduct extensive outreach with community members that are vulnerable to police contact based on their experience of poverty, lack of housing, survival activities, mental health needs, or substance use. They also build relationships with police, business owners, and other residents to offer support for improving the quality of life for all members of the community. PAD’s consent-based, relationship-building approach seeks to reduce the harm of behaviors that are often criminalized, and address the root causes of these activities to promote long-term wellness and safety. Harm Reduction Specialists work closely with PAD Care Navigators and partner agencies to connect/reconnect individuals to care.
- As part of a two-person team, provide on-call diversion response to law enforcement and community calls during referral hours within the assigned zone;
- At the time of screening, assess and address emergent/immediate needs of diverted/referred individuals, including the need for shelter, food, and clothing;
- Transport referred individuals in PAD vehicles according to established safety protocol;
- Conduct daily street outreach in targeted locations within the assigned zone, in order to engage individuals who are vulnerable to police contact or are in areas of community concern;
- Develop relationships with law enforcement through one-on-one and precinct engagement and provide responsive phone and in-person support for potential diversions;
- Work closely with the PAD Care Navigation Team to support PAD participant engagement;
- Work closely with partner agencies to conduct joint outreach and provide reconnection and warm hand-offs for individuals who have established relationships with those partners;
- Increase community awareness of harm reduction, recovery, and resource needs by providing education to law enforcement, neighborhood, and business stakeholders related to specific community concerns.
- Maintain all participant charts and records according to established standards and document case progression within the electronic data management system (HMIS/Client Track).
- 2 years of experience in providing case management, outreach, or community-based mental health services to individuals experiencing homelessness or engaged in survival activities;
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, or Counseling or equivalent experience;
- Valid Driver’s License required;
- People with lived experience of incarceration, recovery, homelessness, and those who identify as Trans or LGBQ strongly encouraged to apply.
PAD provides a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a strong vacation policy in a people-centered environment.
APPLICATIONS WHICH DO NOT MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED:
1) A cover letter which:
a) describes your approach to outreach, and
b) gives an example of harm reduction from your own experience
2) A resume
DEADLINE: December 12, 2020
SUBMISSION: Send in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Atlanta/Fulton County Pre-Arrest Diversion Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, age, qualified handicap or disabled status. We are committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Mental Health / Crisis Intervention $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Direct Service / Social Service Mental Health / Crisis Intervention $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Legal Mental Health / Crisis Intervention $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Social Work / Counseling Mental Health / Crisis Intervention $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta