Urban Forestry Program Manager
- Experience Level
Our City Forest is seeking an enthusiastic and knowledgeable Urban Forestry Program Manager to oversee its community tree planting and early tree care programs. The Manager will train and manage a team of full-time “service members” responsible for implementing field projects and working directly with communities throughout Santa Clara County.
The overarching goal of OCF is to increase community capacity to properly plant, maintain and manage our urban forest. This is achieved by providing an array of education and training opportunities, in conjunction with ongoing planting projects, to effectively engage thousands of residents every year.
A strong candidate for this position will be a trained urban forester who enjoys working with people, is familiar with an extensive palette of tree species, and possesses strong management skills. Because many OCF projects are conducted in partnership with local municipalities and school districts, experience working with agencies as well as homeowners is ideal. While someone with a current arborist certification is the strongest candidate, OCF is open to interviewing candidates approaching eligibility to take the certification exam.
Our City Forest (OCF) is a San José-based nonprofit serving San José and communities throughout Santa Clara County. OCF provides a broad range of urban forestry services and award-winning programs include community planting, tree stewardship, a full-scale community nursery, lawn conversions, educational programming, volunteer training, and green jobs service and training opportunities. Visit www.ourcityforest.org
Key Responsibilities of Urban Forestry Program Manager
- Develop opportunities with agencies, neighborhoods, school districts and businesses for planting and maintenance projects.
- Conduct site visits to determine planting locations, species, and site prep needs.
- Ensure excellence through ongoing implementation of quality control activities.
- Comply with OCF policies, standards and best practices.
- Track project data, including community engagement as well as tree services.
- Mentor, train and supervise OCF AmeriCorps service members.
- Ensure compliance with contract policies and grant regulations
- 2+ years management experience with volunteers, service members or staff
- 2+ years full-time urban forestry experience with knowledge of local tree species
- 1+ year hands-on experience in species selection, installation and establishment
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds (approx. weight of 15-gallon tree)
- Experience and strong desire to work with volunteers and community members
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with data base entry/management and office software
- Current CA driver license with clean DMV record
- Must pass all background checks (fingerprinting, etc.) prior to employment
- Possess a strong environmental stewardship ethic
- Ability to speak Spanish
- Arborist certification
- Experience with an AmeriCorps community service program
Full-time, 40 hrs/week, Tuesday through Saturday
Salary is negotiable based on skills, certifications and years of relevant experience.
Opening is immediate; applications taken until position filled
*Please e-mail resumé with a cover letter containing the following!
- Minimum salary requirement
- Available start date
- Names and titles of 3 professional references (contact info optional)
Please email to: email@example.com
More searches like this
- Conservation Environment $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Education / Teaching Environment $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Program / Project Management Environment $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Volunteer Services Environment $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in San Jose