- Experience Level
TERRA LAWSON-REMER SUPERVISOR,
San Diego County Board of Supervisors
Job Title: Communications Director
Summary: Seeking a Communications Director with significant political experience, to serve the dual role of Political & Communications Director as the senior communications and political strategist for the Supervisor's office, staff, and initiatives. The Communications Director will be responsible for both overall message strategy for the Supervisor and nimble implementation. This means identifying the overall core messages relevant to the Supervisor’s agenda that will best resonate with and mobilize public opinion, crafting those messages, and producing and disseminating diverse content to share these messages across multiple platforms.
Skills and Experience Required:
- ● Expertise in both digital and traditional media, including:
- Developing and disseminating organic content across multiple channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube);
- Managing traditional media relationships and events, including TV, radio, and print journalism.
- Deep experience and excellent instincts for managing the public conversation, identifying and driving the right key messages, and controlling/setting the public narrative.
- Excellent political and strategic judgment: 10+ years experience in/around politics, organizing, or campaigning, navigating and anticipating opportunities and minefields.
- Strong technical skills for producing both graphic and written content, including photos, videos, emails, social media posts, speeches, etc..
- Creativity and adaptability to leverage new opportunities and platforms for communications.
- Good eye for “downside political risk” across multiple lanes; identifying diverse political risks and advising the Supervisor on communications strategies to avoid potential pitfalls.
Essential Job Functions:
- Producing tweets, FB posts, instagram posts, videos, and other organic social media content -- including both visual content (photo and video) and written copy;
- Producing emails to voters, supporters, and constituents;
- Drafting speeches and talking points for the Supervisor;
- Drafting and disseminating press releases; coordinating press events;
- Building relationships and communicating with the media, setting-up interviews, and proactively identifying media opportunities.
Salary and Benefits:
- Commensurate with experience. Benefits include: Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Flexible Spending Account, Defined Benefit Pension Plan, Transit Pass Voucher, Vacation and Sick Leave.
Qualified Applicants should submit their cover letter, resume, and portfolio by completing an application linked here: https://tinyurl.com/y3uyf7wx