- Experience Level
Affiliated with: AAUP, SEIU
CFA is a union of 29,000 faculty members, librarians, counselors and coaches of the California State University (CSU) system. On the 23 CSU campuses, CFA members work hard to teach our students the critical thinking skills, the technical know-how, and the cultural insights they need to be thoughtful, productive, and artistic participants in our society.
CFA is one of the largest higher education labor unions in the U.S. and is a national leader in its advocacy for anti-racism and social justice. As the exclusive collective bargaining representative, CFA negotiates a contract with the CSU administration that promotes academic freedom, upholds faculty rights, delivers financial protection for the faculty, and promotes faculty participation in the governance of the CSU.
CFA is seeking candidates with a strong knowledge and background in racial and social justice work. Candidates who have relevant experience (formally or informally) and can translate that into the range of job responsibilities listed below are strongly encouraged to apply.
CFA is proud to be a member-run union and believes in employing hard-working and creative staff whose talents complement those of our elected leadership. For more information about the CFA, visit our website at www.calfac.org
Essential Job Duties:
- Under the direction of the GR Director, takes the lead role in all aspects of the budget advocacy and legislative advocacy, including identifying and monitoring all proposed legislation that potentially impacts higher education and labor;
- Prepare, lobby and deliver testimony on pending legislation and communicate CFA Board approved positions to the Legislature, Governor and other interested parties;
- Within the member governance structure, develop and draft legislation, and devise and implement strategies to advance the CFA’s legislative agenda;
- Represent CFA in meetings of ad-hoc legislative coalitions and community partners.
- Organize and coordinate lobbying events;
- Plan and coordinate successful campaigns;
- Organize support and develop leadership participation in CFA’s legislative program;
- Develop relationships with potential allies and empower members;
- Provide support to CFA members, leaders and staff during legislative efforts;
- Manage effective relationships with Legislators and professional colleagues;
- Monitor legislative and budget hearings and make policy recommendations to the GR Director
- Conduct policy research and analysis to develop reports that support CFA’s legislative and budget advocacy; and
- Write and disseminate fact sheets, policy position letters, and other written materials.
The ideal candidate for our team will have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- A strong commitment to advancing racial and social justice transformation in the union movement;
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet strict deadlines;
- Possess excellent writing, verbal and analytical skill;
- Extensive knowledge of the California legislative and budget process;
- Ability to work collaboratively and strategically with CFA officers, members, interns and staff;
- Track record of working with ethnically, linguistically, and racially diverse communities in California
- Experience advocating for inclusive public policies, including budgetary campaigns
- Demonstrated ability to infuse anti-racism and social justice work into the everyday work of CFA;
- Demonstrated experience organizing and/or working in strategic campaigns; and
- Prior experience lobbying and/or working in the California State Legislature
- Valid driver’s license, an automobile for business use, and proof of minimum insurance coverage.
Salary/Benefits/Other requirements: The position is located in Sacramento, California. CFA offers a fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and generous paid leave. This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement; salary is commensurate with experience. Some travel required.
To apply send cover letter and resume with references and a writing sample to:
CFA is an Affirmative Action Employer.
Women, People of Color/Native People, members of the LGBTQIA community, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
CFA complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org