- Experience Level
POSITION: Civic Engagement Community Organizer (Full-time)
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: The Asian Law Alliance (ALA) is a non-profit community law office that has provided legal services, community education and advocacy services since 1977 to the Asian/Pacific Islander and immigrant communities in Santa Clara County. Priority areas are immigration, housing, domestic violence, public benefits, civil rights and voting rights.
JOB SUMMARY: The ideal candidate will be passionate and committed to ALA’s mission to serve and empower immigrant communities through community-based organizing, education, outreach and leadership building. The organizer will work with staff, volunteers and other partner organizations to grow and improve the representation of the immigrant community in Santa Clara County through voter registration, voter education, Redistricting outreach and other community organizing efforts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Register and educate potential voters at events, community sites and through individual door-to-door engagement in immigrant neighborhoods
- Organize voter education forums and voter canvassing prior to and during elections
- Organize forums on redistricting
- Conduct poll monitoring on Election Day
- Provide non-legal support including organizing and advocacy for pending litigation related to redistricting and voter representation
- Participate in mandatory trainings on voter registration, voter outreach, voter rights, and other electoral issues
- Participate in any and all other ALA civic engagement projects surrounding immigrant rights and civil rights issues
- Ensure accurate and complete data on all of the above submitted in a timely fashion
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience conducting presentations to immigrant and limited English proficient communities preferred
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent public speaking and communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to follow guidelines to complete required tasks
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical; dental; and vision plan; sick leave, 403(b) plan, Flexible spending plan, paid vacation and holidays.