Animal Shelter Adoption Cournselor
- Experience Level
Responsible for counseling the public about potential pets for adoption; reviewing adoption applications submitted by the public based on written guidelines; receiving adoption fees and updating the software system with information necessary to complete the adoption. Also responsible for tasks which help to increase the number of adoptions such as photo taking and social media posts and other tasks as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Answer emails and phone calls from the public regarding pets for adoption in a prompt, professional and informative manner.
- Provide information to potential adopters about housetraining methods, the need for puppy/kitten follow up shots/yearly veterinary care/heartworm prevention and other pet related information.
- Answer questions from the public about pets for adoption including the behavior of specific breeds, dog and cat behavior, pet care, whether a specific pet would be good with children or other dogs and other pertinent information.
- Review adoption applications submitted by the public to determine if the applicant meets written adoption guidelines. Approve or deny the application for adoption in a professional manner. Ask questions of the applicant if necessary to clarify information on the written adoption application.
- Write the clinic transfer paperwork for animals that have been adopted to ensure they are spayed/neutered, microchipped, vaccinated, heartworm or combo tested, etc.
- Properly input all information necessary for the adoption into the software system. Must print out all necessary paperwork for the adoption and must have the adopter sign the adoption contract and any dismissal instructions.
- Handle adoption fees and perform cash box closing for the adoption cash box.
- Call adopters to inform them when their adopted pet is ready for pickup.
- Perform tasks to increase the number of adoptions including taking pictures and videos of pets for adoption and posting on Facebook and in the animal management software.
- May be required to assist with owner surrender counseling, rescue groups and cleaning when needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must promote LifeLine Animal Project’s policies and philosophies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Extensive knowledge of dog and cat behavior, training and of animal breed recognition is also required.
- Knowledge in animal health and well-being to include nutrition needs, resources for information, knowledge of common animal diseases
- Ability to identify animal species, breeds, ages and sexes. Ability to identify signs of animal illnesses and injuries. Ability to recognize common animal behavior.
- Demonstrated personal communication knowledge to include effective phone skills, effective interviewing techniques, public speaking and ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Must be available to work on weekends.
- Must pass background check and drug screening.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum of high school diploma and 1+ years experience in animal related field. Must pass general knowledge test and animal knowledge test.
Must be able to read and interpret policies and procedures. Must be able to communicate effectively to adopters and must provide good customer services skills.
Must pass general knowledge test which includes mathematical problems.
Must have the ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written or verbal form and to follow those instructions correctly.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
While performing the duties of this job, employee may be exposed to a kennel that is not air-conditioned and may be exposed to unpleasant kennel smells.