- Experience Level
Position: Social Practitioner
Reports To: Unit Leader
For more than 70 years, Fountain House has successfully addressed the devastating impact of mental illness on individuals, families, and communities through its pioneering clubhouse model, which provides a structured, therapeutic social community and the tools to break the bonds of social isolation faced by people living with mental illness, while also addressing their basic health and social needs such as access to healthcare, housing, employment, education, nutrition, and safety. Fountain House accomplishes this by working in partnership with its members – people living with mental illness – and putting them at the center of their own recovery.
Fountain House is the most widely replicated evidence-based model for people living with mental illness in the world with over 300 model programs serving over 100,000 people throughout the US and in more than 30 countries.
A Social Practitioner utilizes community as a therapeutic tool to address the negative or social symptoms often associated with Serious Mental Illness (SMI.) Fountain House is looking for creative, dynamic and community-focused individuals to provide direct support to adults with serious mental illness in an innovative community-based program. For nearly seventy years, Fountain House has used a person-in-environment approach to create working communities that help individuals with mental illness to successfully manage their recovery. Candidates would join a team of staff, and individuals with mental illness to create a holistic community of recovery that follows our evidence-based model.
*This position does not provide clinical supervision or hours towards a LCSW.
- Utilize the community to design positive interventions to deal with common barriers such as social isolation, poor self-esteem, anxiety, symptom management, and poverty.
- Create access to environments outside of Fountain House that are not therapeutically oriented to build general skills, a sense of confidence, and to support members’ self‑efficacy. This includes the provision of on-site support in employment, education, and housing environments outside of Fountain House.
- Develop relationships with Fountain House members and the community as a whole that can be leveraged to: provide support for positive change and risk-taking; combat social isolation and increase meaningful connections; and introduce members to new opportunities.
- Engineer various environments and social interactions to create therapeutic results and develop an accessible positive community.
- Observe and assess experiences with members in a variety of naturalistic environments in order to create specific interventions for individuals’ rehabilitation.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Must possess current and valid U.S. work authorization and be eligible to work for any U.S. employer without sponsorship.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Positive, dynamic and engaging personality.
- Flexibility, as demonstrated by interchangeability with other staff on the unit, staying late or arriving early, if necessary to fulfill unit or member needs.
- Must be able to work Monday – Friday: 9AM to 5PM and occasionally work on evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
- Experience working with individuals with serious mental illness and or/hands on experience working in a community setting.
Starting Salary: $45K
- Paid Time Off Accrued for maximum of 23 days
- Ten (10) Paid Holidays
- Paid Bereavement Leave
- Medical, dental and vision plans
- Life Insurance paid by Fountain House (2x salary)
- Optional Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Supplemental Short-Term Disability
- Tuition Assistance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
Fountain House, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At this time Fountain House, Inc. is not able to sponsor visas.
Note: This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not to be construed as a contract for employment.