Vice President, Resource Development
- Experience Level
United Way of Dane County has been tackling Dane County’s toughest challenges for 98 years. With a mission to unite the community to achieve measurable results and change lives, we are committed to build a Dane County where everyone can succeed in school, work, and life. Through strategic partnerships and collaborative work, United Way brings the many voices of Dane County together to find common ground and develop a strategic architecture for change, while engaging businesses and individuals to give, advocate and volunteer in Dane County. Together, we are The Power of Many. Working for All.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
United Way of Dane County (UWDC) is the largest nonprofit in Dane County, responsible for private investment into programs designed to build family well-being and advance equity. UWDC envisions a Dane County where everyone can succeed in school, work, and life. A central component of this work is educating, engaging, and inspiring the community to provide the resources to fund this mission each year. The Vice President, Resource Development, sets the strategy and leads the execution of raising these resources.
The individual in this role will build a top-performing Resource Development Department to strengthen workplace and individual donor partnerships, build community will for change, and grow financial support to advance our mission.
Top Five Attributes We Are Looking For:
1. Strong development capabilities
2. Proven ability to deliver results and growth in participation and dollars
3. Passion for mission/community change/DEI leader
4. Experienced leader of people/team and partner with staff/vols/partners, includes exceptional communications
5. Strong data analytics and reporting skills
Lead, plan, develop, manage, and implement multi-year strategies to grow the financial support of this work through the leadership and management of the Resource Development department.
This position provides professional leadership to Staff, serves as a member of the Executive Team, and works closely with Board and Resource Development volunteers including Campaign Cabinet and Cabinet committees, Leadership Giving/Affinity Group committees, and the United Way Foundation Board of Trustees. It also interfaces with leaders across the Dane County business community with an overall goal to drive partnerships and deepen relationships.
Additional tactics to achieve the outlined goals:
• Provide innovative leadership and long-term perspective focusing on the future direction of resource development, adapting to a changing philanthropic landscape and evolving revenue model for the mission.
• Evaluate the external market and stay aware of fundraising practices, approaches, innovations, and strategies to enhance the achievement of established fundraising goals.
• Utilize market information to lead major internal and external change initiatives to effectively manage the future direction of resource development efforts.
• Nurture a relationship-based culture within UWDC and consistently model a customer-service orientation in all internal and external interactions.
• Serve as the executive sponsor for United Way’s CRM / relationship management strategy and system.
• Review and analyze the strengths and weaknesses of all resource development initiatives.
• Set the direction of the department to ensure team members have clear goals and a path to achieve these goals.
• Provide input and support to President / CEO.
Key Responsibility Areas: Resource Development
• Areas of responsibility include Private and Public Workforce Giving (Corporate giving, workforce sector participation), Leadership Giving (Tocqueville Society, Lead United), Affinity Groups (Women United, LINC), Major Gifts, Transformational Giving, the United Way Foundation, and provide guidance to Community Impact’s Strategic Collaborations work and Marketing’s Community Direct Response Campaign.
• With CEO, CFO and VP of Administration VP of Community Impact, and VP of Community Engagement and Marketing, align resource development priorities with Agenda for Change and organizational strategic priorities. Aspire to match donor passions and interests with organizational financial priorities for programs.
• Manage accountability of results, research, and data analytics for learning, assessing progress on an on-going basis, and recommending adjustments.
• Oversight of recognition program and strategies (e.g. including thank you letters, event) and ongoing stewardship.
• Provide proper Resource Development representation at United Way of Dane County meetings.
• Serve as staff point of accountability regarding compliance with Wisconsin Regulation and Licensing for fundraising contracts (CHC, AHA) and reporting.
• Serve as staff liaison in connection with other funders and fundraising professionals, including the Association of Fundraising Professionals, and other business organizations.
Management and Administration
• Supervise, coach, evaluate and report on the activities of all Resource Development staff and their ongoing job responsibilities, including goal setting, development, and performance reviews.
• With Director of Transformational Giving, Director of Foundation and Gift Planning, and Director of Resource Development Operations, set team priorities and initiate strategic and operational plans to accomplish long and short-term fundraising goals and objectives.
a. Assign and qualify donor portfolios and goals
b. Qualify new prospects and goals as needed for portfolios
c. Recruit and manage volunteers to support portfolios
d. Oversee account/donor plans, including stewardship (recognizing, reporting) and solicitation (asks)
e. Develop a communication plan in collaboration with the Community Impact team to secure program information for volunteers/donors
f. Accountable for data quality management CRM system Data quality management
g. Other duties as required to support team and organization objectives
• Develop and maintain responsibility for the administration of the RD department budgets in conjunction with appropriate team leaders.
• Develop meaningful and rewarding assignments and responsibilities for all Resource Development volunteers and Board of Directors (i.e. providing staff support, training, and recognition.)
• Identify and recommend potential volunteers for the Campaign Cabinet, Leadership Giving Committees, Board, and other appropriate volunteers.
• Develop and maintain positive working relationships with key community leaders and constituents.
• Interface between Board and teams, and organization and community.
• Ensure that volunteer engagement extends the organizational brand, reach, and financial support for the organization while aligned with organizational priorities.
• Lead volunteer identification, recruitment, placement, training, and recognition with staff involvement, building United Way relationships across the community.