Communications & Marketing Director
- Experience Level
Jeremiah Program (JP) seeks a creative and entrepreneurial leader for its new Communications and Marketing Director (CMD) role to amplify and advance JP’s innovative work disrupting generational poverty for single moms and their children at the national level. Reporting to the Vice President of Development and Communications (VPDC), the CMD will guide the strategy for all communications, website and public relations messaging, and associated collateral materials to consistently raise awareness of JP’s mission and ensure that JP is viewed as a primary source within its diverse network and constituent base.
The Communications and Marketing Director will work closely with a senior peer group within the organization as a partner on a variety of strategic initiatives and manage a small team of communications professionals. The ideal candidate has deep experience in strategic communications that includes a blend of advocacy, media and brand building, online marketing, storytelling, and a proven track record of growing and engaging diverse audiences and elevating the profile of a national organization.
- Works with the VPDC and other senior leaders to develop and execute an annual plan that inspires key audiences to action;
- Broaden programmatic reach and deepen impact;
- Create a public relations strategy that will allow JP to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences;
- Develop partnerships with organizations, corporations, community allies, and others to further JP’s mission and secure influencers;
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding JP programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects;
- Prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, brochures, reports, press releases and pitches, and other organizational collateral material;
- Identify significant public policy issues related to JP’s mission and formulate advocacy strategies;
- Develop and manage regional and national external marketing efforts, including digital, to raise the visibility of JP and ensure engagement with multiple audiences;
- Act as editor for the website and oversee website administration;
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including staff development, budgeting and planning;
- Manage relationships with public relations, web development and design vendors; and
- Track record of positioning an organization, political candidate, or cause in a competitive communications market.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- This is a full-time (40+ hours/week) position, and work days are typically Monday through Friday. Occasional evening and weekend work will be required as job duties demand.
- Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel will be expected.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher;
- Eight or more years of proven communications achievement and management, ideally in a social justice organization, or in an issue-based initiative or political campaign; Ability to coach and support senior leaders as spokespersons;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a matrix organization/cross-departmental teams;
- Sense of humor coupled with a strong work ethic; and
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice.
All candidates should have outstanding interpersonal skills, an ability to provide change leadership, and able to work effectively with a wide range of people while demonstrating integrity and professionalism.