Volunteer - Mentor a Family Who Has Exited Homelessness
4 days left
- Position Type
Imagine LA Volunteer Mentors serve as friends, partners, and companions to parents and children who have experienced homelessness on their individual and family journeys.
COVID-19 PIVOT: As we all cope with the COVID-19 crisis, the health and security of our families, mentors, and staff is our top priority. As such, we have pivoted our Mentorship program to be FULLY VIRTUAL for the duration of the crisis. This includes shifting to VIRTUAL platforms for our training sessions, family & mentor kickoff meetings, and all mentor-mentee interactions. When local and national health guidelines are lifted, mentors and mentees will start/continue in-person activities.
- 21 years or older
- Live in Greater Los Angeles
- Believe in the power of relationships
- Interested in partnering with families to meet their goals
The Mentor Experience
- One-on-one relationship-building and mentoring activities with a youth (ages 5 & older) or adult mentee (e.g., trips to the beach, help with science project, budgeting or resumé writing)
- Ongoing support and resources from Imagine LA Family Team Manager
- Other volunteer opportunities with Imagine LA (optional)
What’s the Commitment?
- Mandatory background check
- Twice monthly visits with your mentee (1-2 hours each / 2-4 hours per month)
- Mentor Team Conference Calls with your Family Team Manager (1 hour per month)
- Consistent relationship-building and communication with your mentee (30 min per month)
- Consistent communication with Imagine LA (30 min per month)
- Quarterly potluck-style meetings with the family & Family Team Manager (2 hours per quarter)
- Total: 6-8 hours per month for 12-18 months
- It feels great!
- Free background check
- Learn about homelessness & poverty
- Transformative vs. transactional volunteering
- Develop new skills & relationships
- Networking opportunities
- Be an agent of long-term change