Executive Communications Manager
- Position Type
- Full Time
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
The Executive Communications Manager reports to the Senior Advisor for Communications and is responsible for developing strategies and seeking opportunities for the President’s engagement with issues and events. They are also responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Executive Communications team, including developing strategy for and managing the President’s social media accounts; developing a strategy around the President’s speaking engagements; drafting briefing memos and talking points, in conjunction with the Associate Director of Executive Communications, for the President and other senior staff; and working with event organizers to manage logistics for the President’s speaking engagements.
- Draft briefing memos, talking points and other written materials for the President and other senior staff
- Develop strategy for and manage the President’s social media accounts, including Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
- Develop strategy for the President’s speaking engagements, including seeking out new opportunities and pitching the President as a speaker
- Work with external event organizers to manage logistics for the President’s speaking engagements
- Pitch the President for interviews with journalists on key topics of interest to the President
- Work as part of the team that manages AM Equality, HRC’s daily newsletter
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience preferred;
- Three to five years’ experience with organizational or executive communications, preferably in an advocacy setting;
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills with a strong sense of urgency and the ability to work effectively under pressure;
- Proven writing skills as well as the communications skills necessary to elicit the right information from a variety of sources;
- Must be self-driven and well-versed in developing written materials;
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor;
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office applications (Word and Outlook), Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive), and social media;
- Flexibility with work schedule; this position requires frequent evening and weekend work to respond to breaking news;
- Must be comfortable working in a high-volume environment and have the ability to closely follow the messaging of the organization on a wide variety of issues;
- Personal interest in and commitment to LGBTQ rights required.
- Strong professional ethics and sensitivity in dealing with confidential issues
- Ability to professionally represent the President and HRC at all times
- Demonstrated ability to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive issues
**Please include a writing sample with your application.**
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.