Executive Assistant to the Chief Operating Officer and Chief of Staff
The National Women's Law Center (NWLC) seeks an experienced Executive Assistant to provide excellent administrative support to the COO and Chief of Staff. The Executive Assistant will have the ability to think proactively and respond quickly and efficiently and must possess strong administrative, written and verbal communications, and organizational skills. The Executive Assistant will be expected to prioritize projects and the needs of the organization while handling multiple priorities and highly sensitive and confidential information with the utmost discretion and aplomb.
The National Women’s Law Center fights for gender justice — in the courts, in public policy, and in our society — working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us — especially those who face multiple forms of discrimination, including women of color, LGBTQ people, and low-income women and families.
For more than 45 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women, and we need you with us to continue this fight.
- Works closely and effectively with the COO and Chief of Staff, keeping them well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, and following up appropriately;
- Provides a bridge for smooth communications between the COO and Chief of Staff and internal teams and key external relationships; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with stakeholders. Stakeholders include, but are not limited to, NWLC staff, Board members, and donors;
- Manages the COO and Chief of Staff’s schedule and receives and routes correspondence and documents that require the COO and Chief of Staff’s review. Ensures that the COO and Chief of Staff is properly scheduled and equipped with all support materials related to each meeting;
- Manages the preparation for various internal meetings, including senior staff meetings and management meetings related to collective bargaining. Assists in the preparation of materials and organizing of confidential files for the senior team and for management’s bargaining team as needed;
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters independently, expeditiously and proactively, and demonstrates great follow-through on projects to ensure successful completion, often with short deadlines;
- Prepares and complete expense reports for COO and Chief of Staff;
- Provides project management support for organization-wide initiatives led by the COO and Chief of Staff including management’s role in collective bargaining and strategic planning;
- Oversees maintenance of records, files, equipment and supplies for the COO and Chief of Staff; Serve as back-up to the Executive Assistant to the President & CEO; and
- Additional duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A minimum of two years of relevant experience particularly in office management and administrative support functions;
- Experience supporting top-level executives, preferably within a law firm, leading nonprofit, union, or government agency;
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (including advanced functions), and Adobe;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and quickly under pressure, work independently and as part of a team, and interact professionally and graciously with all levels of staff and constituents;
- Demonstrated ability to multitask, strong attention to detail, outstanding judgment, and excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive situations and to handle a wide variety of tasks and confidential matters with the utmost discretion.
Additional preferred knowledge and experience:
- Experience working in a unionized workplace;
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience working on gender and racial equity and centering communities of color in their approach to work.
The Executive Assistant reports directly to the COO and Chief of Staff. This position works closely with NWLC’s staff and interacts with outside legal counsel and consultants, and occasionally with donors and NWLC Board members.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please forward a resume and cover letter outlining your interests and qualifications. Resumes should include exact start and end dates (month and year) of employment. Please send application materials via e-mail to: email@example.com and include the position title in the subject line. Electronic submissions are preferred. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities; people of all gender identities and sexual orientations; people of color; and veterans.
If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.