VeteranWorks Program Director
- Experience Level
Veterans Empowerment Organization (VEO) was founded in 2008 to address the lack of services available to homeless veterans in Atlanta. Over the years we have served more than 5,000 veterans through housing, workforce initiatives, and mental health and addiction interventions driven by a mission to restore veterans in crisis.
VEO has responded to a “Request for Proposal” solicited by the Department of Labor to fund VEO’s VeteranWorks Workforce and Income initiative. The goal of VeteranWorks is to prepare veterans for re-entry to the workforce in living-wage jobs, while also providing financial counseling and access to supplemental income supports.
The Program Director is charged with developing and implementing marketing, recruiting, and employment strategies for the VeteranWorks program while also managing the VeteranWorks team.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Five (5) years of professional experience in both workforce placement and team management.
- Experience working in the military or with veterans is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must embrace the mission of VEO.
- Have knowledge and experience working in workforce and employment programs, supervising teams, and managing budgets.
- Possess the skills to motivate staff and clients.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to build external relationships.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, and common sense.
- Work well independently and in a team setting.
- Exceptional listening, verbal, and written communications skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite and social media platforms.
- Establish the VeteranWorks program in direct collaboration with VEO’s Director of Programming.
- Recruit and supervise the VeteranWorks team to include a Case Manager, Employment Specialist, Outreach Coordinator, and Transportation Coordinator.
- Develop and implement marketing, recruiting, and employment strategies for the VeteranWorks program necessary to annually enroll 230 veterans and place 160 veterans into employment.
- Collaborate with programming, operations, and finance staff to ensure the effective development of process and infrastructure within VEO.
- Develop and maintain relationships with workforce development and employment partners.
- Engage with veteran clients by providing workforce readiness training and support.
- Ensure accurate VeteranWorks data recording and reporting and timely submission of reports.
- Monitor industry trends and adapt workforce strategies as necessary.
- Manage an annual program budget of nearly $500,000.
- Update key stakeholders on progress, budgets, receipts, and expenditures related to VeteranWorks program.
- Exhibit respect for, and excellent service to clients, staff, and all supporters of the organization through prompt, courteous, and informative communication.
- Embrace a proactive, mission-driven, cohesive, and supportive attitude within the organization.
- Demonstrate professionalism in all departmental activities and outreach while promoting confidentiality of privileged information.