- Experience Level
Accountability: Reports to the Rector
Hours: Monday thru Thursday, 9-4; Friday, 9-12
School Year: Summer (Memorial Day thru Labor Day):
An hour’s lunch may be taken Monday thru Thursday
Responsibilities include to be a knowledgeable and warm presence in daily parish life; occasional secretarial assistance to the rector; office and building administration; publishing communications from the parish; maintenance of parish records; Security; Assists the ministries of the parish as needed, with oversight from the rector.
Areas of Accountability:
A Knowledgeable and Warm Presence in Daily Parish Life
- Answer phone calls and route to appropriate party or deliver messages in a timely manner.
- Manage a cadre of volunteer receptionists by assigning times and answering the phone during office hours when no volunteer is available.
- Communications from the church are handled with dignity, respect (including confidentiality), and warmth.
- Is knowledgeable of the church and answers or refers incoming requests for information.
- Handles correspondence – i.e. emails, letters, newsletters, bulletins, faxes, requests for information, etc. – in a timely manner.
Office and Building Administration
- Responsible for office supply purchase, requests for equipment maintenance, and adherence to budgeted costs.
- Researches and makes recommendations to vestry concerning purchase of equipment.
- Assures smooth flow of communication from rector and vestry to other staff members.
- Maintains master parish calendar and acts as liaison to persons requesting use of facilities, mailing lists, birthday and anniversary calendars.
- Makes arrangements with service personnel, delivery persons, and outside contractors as needed.
- Orders cleaning and restroom supplies as needed.
- Provide requested information.
- Securely and confidentially log and store checks collected from mail and in person
- Give out and collect check request forms
Publishing Communications from the Parish
- Create and print items for worship
- Bulletin, both weekly and special events
- prayer lists and other items needed for worship
- Eucharistic Visitor Lists
- Prayer List updates
- Assist with special mailings like stewardship, etc.
- Monthly printed newsletter
- weekly E-Lion (MailChimp)
- periodic website updates: pages, calendar, etc (WordPress)
- Makes sure that memorial acknowledgements come before the rector and are sent in a timely manner.
Maintains parish records
- Protects the confidentiality of parishioners and employees.
- Maintain parish membership records i.e., communicants, baptized persons, confirmands, transfers in and out, marriages, deaths, etc.
- Research membership status and requests membership letters and responds to requests for membership from other churches.
- Works with the Clerk of the Vestry and heads of committees to maintain parish records of minutes and other matters pertaining to committee work
- Carefully puts away items of a confidential nature and sees that office is secured when leaving.
- Turns off equipment, lights and locks doors when leaving building last.
Assist the Ministries of the Parish
- Long-term, regular duties/commitments are decided with coordination and approval from the rector so as not to overwhelm the staff/disempower the volunteers.
- Current long-term, regular duties under this heading:
- Coordinate with local Meals on Wheels and develop routes for the drivers, as well as scheduling drivers and substitutes.
- Work with 1st Sunday Breakfast Volunteers to coordinate supplies and to schedule the teams
- Coordinate with “Helping Hands” for receptions
- Schedule the sexton for events: parish and rentals
- There are other occasional duties that fall under this category, to be assigned in coordination with the rector.
Familiar with needed computer programs
- WordPress website builder
- Publisher or similar for bulletins and newsletter MailChimp
- Email and general word-processing
For enquiries and to apply send a resume to: The Rev. Allen Pruitt firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional notes: Members of the church are not eligible for this position.