- Experience Level
Location: Washington, D.C.
Position Type: Temporary
CORE is a community organized relief organization based in Los Angeles with existing projects in Haiti and the Bahamas. During the COVID-19 pandemic CORE has stepped up to provide assistance to public health systems in multiple cities across the US including Los Angeles and Northern California, New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago. Washington DC, and New York. Our first line of response has been COVID-19 testing, in large volume drive-through sites, but also at a community level targeted toward under-served populations. We have successfully provided 1.2 million tests to date. Building on that successful implementation, we are taking the next step in disease containment to assist in contact tracing.
The Community Mobilizer will work with formal and informal community leaders, influencers, and community based organizations (CBO) to ensure thorough understanding of the messaging around community-based testing and contact tracing activities to keep community members safe. This role requires working at a mobile COVID-19 testing site as well as building connections in the community. The ultimate goal is for community leaders to “own” the response and lead their community to adoption of behaviors that will keep everyone safe.
- Engage with formal and informal community leaders and influencers, including churches, local businesses, neighborhood associations, and other civic organizations about COVID-19 response activities, encouraging involvement and community ownership of response activities.
- Lead a team of canvassers around the community to spread awareness of testing.
- Coordinate with the Safety and Logistics Manager on site identification and develop an outreach strategy for each site, including: day-of canvassing, social media campaign in coordination with CORE HQ, and focused outreach to local institutions and channels.
- Hold community education sessions to inform members about behaviors and activities that can prevent transmission and how to get community groups involved in spreading the information.
- Map informal leadership and support groups in communities to ensure complete engagement.
- Develop a marketing plan to include building strategic partnerships/relationships and scouting viable sources.
- Create flyers for sites and communicate with local leaders to spread awareness of community-based testing.
- Identify and develop relationships with community members and CBOs who can participate in/lead response activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Social work or public health degree, or other experience in community support and transformation
- 3+ years of community mobilization experience
- Strong familiarity with the D.C. Area
- Excellent Networking and Marketing skills
- Familiarity in and experience working with social services, health care, or community activism preferred
- Candidates preferred to have experience working with underserved/under resourced communities in Washington, D.C. (Please indicate what location on your application)
- Fluency in another language, particularly Spanish, is a distinct advantage; please mark this on your application
- Ability to exhibit a professional, positive attitude and work ethic
- Excellent interpersonal skills required and ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse individuals and individuals in distress
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Critical thinking and sound judgment required
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and professionalism
- Proficiency with computers, Google Suite and MS Office
CORE is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels.
Interested candidates should contact the Human Resources Manager, Faith Gazdzicki, at firstname.lastname@example.org