- Experience Level
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of working families here in California and influence policymaking nationally?
The California Labor Federation is the largest state Labor Federation in the United States. The Federation is an umbrella organization comprised of more than 1,200 unions, representing 2.1 million union members: in manufacturing, retail, construction, hospitality, the public sector, healthcare, entertainment and other industries across California.
The mission of the Federation is to be the strongest voice for economic justice in the state through organizing, legislative action, political power, community alliances, and collective bargaining. We seek to maximize the capacity of labor and community organizations to advance policies to support quality job creation, ensure community health, promote shared prosperity, and increase justice for working people, including immigrant workers. We believe that economic justice is achieved through working people standing together with a voice at work.
The Legislative Advocate works as part of the legislative team to advocate for workers’ rights and build worker power in the Capitol while coordinating and supporting the work of our affiliated unions.
- Staff any assigned bills sponsored, supported or opposed by the California Labor Federation;
- Prepare written fact sheets, letters of support and opposition, and other communications on legislative and administrative issues;
- Develop oral and written communication to unions about Federation-targeted issues;
- Prepare and present written and oral testimony before legislative and administrative bodies;
- Respond to affiliated unions’ needs for support to advance their priorities;
- Help formulate Labor’s position on issues;
- Help develop ideas to build worker power and strengthen the union movement;
- Help strategic planning to achieve Federation legislative goals;
- Research and analyze legislative proposals;
- Work with political department to staff political and electoral campaigns, as needed;
- Provide support for Executive Secretary-Treasurer on legislative matters;
- Build and maintain relationships with union leaders, policymakers, allies, and staff;
- Build and participate in coalitions to advance workers’ rights;
- Advocate for working families before state commissions and boards;
- Represent the Federation at various meetings and events;
- Participate in and organize various Federation sponsored meetings and training;
- Work well under pressure and handle stress; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Experience working with the Labor Movement;
- Legislative and administrative advocacy;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Policy research and analysis;
- Experience working in fast-paced, high-pressure environments;
- Attention to detail with the ability to balance multiple tasks;
- Proven track record of advancing an agenda;
- Substantive knowledge of California labor and employment laws;
- Proficient with relevant computer software programs such as Microsoft Word/Excel, Google Documents/Sheets, etc., and
- Graduate or law degree preferred.
Likely telecommuting for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic. Usually based in the Sacramento office, with some travel to the Oakland headquarters. Some travel to unions across the state, conferences, and meetings. Significant time spent in the Capitol, with much time standing and walking on hard surfaces. Long days and weekend work are often required, as the schedule depends on the legislative calendar and committee schedule. Work on political or electoral campaigns may require a longer-term stay in a jurisdiction.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement with Pacific Media Workers Guild Local 39521, affiliated with the Communications Workers of America. The position comes with an excellent union pension and health care benefits.
The CLF provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify us at email@example.com (510) 663-4001, or Fax at (510) 663-4099. Your request will receive an individualized assessment and will be processed in the order it was received.
One of the California Labor Federation’s core values is to provide an inclusive environment to all who are employed here. People of color, bilingual applicants, and women are encouraged to apply. Please send a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
California Labor Federation AFL-CIO provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, California Labor Federation AFL-CIO complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
California Labor Federation AFL-CIO expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.