- Position Type
- Full Time
Status: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Salary floor: $50,000
Supervisory Responsibilities: Intern (when available)
Application deadline: November 7, 2020
Description: Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the development manager plays a key role in supporting Welcoming America in accomplishing its mission. Collaborate closely with the Chief Development Officer to strengthen and grow the development team, primarily through grant writing and management and increasing individual giving in collaboration with Welcoming America’s program teams.
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to work effectively across teams
- Clear and concise communication and writing skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Identify potential funding opportunities and research relationships with potential funders
- Review and assess sources to evaluate funding opportunities that match Welcoming America priorities and programs
- Manage information gathering and maintain all documentation
- Project manage the proposal process
- Prepare, write, and submit compelling letters of inquiry, formal proposals, stewardship documents, and reports
- Ensure all submission requirements and supporting documents are prepared and represent a cohesive proposal
- Manage a portfolio of foundation prospects and programmatic grants
- Work with program staff to gather information on funding needs, compile documents, and develop budgets for grant requests
- Work with program staff to track grants and prepare reports back to funders
- Maintain a calendar of submissions and other deadlines
- Other duties as needed
- Acquire and maintain a strong knowledge of Welcoming America’s work in order to educate and inform prospective and existing donors
- Assist in identification and qualification of new prospects and donors nationally
- Collaborate with the Communications Team to produce donor engagement materials, including letters, emails, and social media campaigns
- Assist in writing gift acknowledgments and other communications with donors
- Write compelling fundraising appeals that encourage current and prospective donors to give
- Support Chief Development Officer led fundraising initiatives such as end of year campaigns and through the organizations annual events.
Other Fundraising Responsibilities
- Work with Operations Director and other staff to build grant budgets, process gifts and pledges, enter data and maintain donor records.
- Identify, research and connect with potential funding sources (foundations, corporations, individuals, and other earned income sources)
- Enter and maintain data into the constituent relationship management database to track activity with prospects and donors
- Together with the Chief Development Officer, develop, set and maintain annual fundraising goals
- Work closely with Chief Development Officer to identify and execute strong internal systems and processes
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve skills and knowledge in the above areas
Qualifications Essential Skills
- Must possess superior written skills including the ability to edit for quality, congruity, and style.
- Exceptional written, spoken, virtual and interpersonal communication skills with donors, key stakeholders, leadership and colleagues
- Experience working with regional and national foundation grants
- Ability to synthesize funding information Welcoming America programs to strategize submissions and concept notes
- Demonstrated knowledge of CRM systems (such as Kindful, Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce)
- Knowledge of donor screening platforms, such as iWave
- Fundamental proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google platforms is required
- Excellent research skills that include philanthropy sites such as Foundation Directory Online, news sites, screening platforms and public records searching, etc.
- Ability to assimilate information about programs from a variety of sources in order to make documents persuasive to potential funders
- Strong project management skills across teams
- Strong attention to detail
- Adherence to fundraising best practices and ethical guidelines outlined by the AFP
Desired Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Basic knowledge of email service tools such as Mailchimp
- Experience writing federal grants
- Interest in immigration, refugees, inclusion, equity, and/or community building is strongly preferred.
Welcoming America is composed of a small, but dynamic team that values collaboration, empathy, and a willingness to pitch in and find solutions. Candidates who have these attributes, as well as those listed below, are desired:
- Gets excited about opportunities to be creative and leverage the knowledge of others
- A genuine believer in doing things together to produce better results
- Proactive, highly motivated, organized, deadline and detail oriented, with a certain level of flexibility and adaptability to evolving circumstances
- Motivated to learn new tools and strategies, and strengthen skills through professional development
2-4 years in a consistent fundraising related role, with demonstrated experience in successfully obtaining grants and individual gifts and other fundraising responsibilities outlined above.
Experience working with a remote team.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a brief writing test that will include common grant writing and donor engagement activities.
Due to the pandemic, candidates must be able to work remotely, with access to a reliable Internet connection. A laptop will be provided. Atlanta-based preferred, but may be based anywhere in the U.S. within Eastern time zone.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Development Manager Application” by November 7, 2020.